LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm working on a slab of maple and have applied two coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish. There are a few spots of small tearout I see now that I'd like to go back and resand. Is that possible? or am I just going to muck things up. I'd assume in the best case scenario I'd resand and then reapply tung oil in those spots. I'm planning on finishing with a few coats of poly after the Tung oil.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You could resand, but you'll kind of goof up your coloring in all likelihood. The sanded spot will probably always be a slightly different color. Couldn't be that noticeable though. You could just leave it. Once I put a finish on, I rarely turn back. You're playing with fire when you do.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Or sand the entire surface a 1/64. I don't know minwax Tung oil only pure, if you wait for it to set then as you remove the defect ensure you sand the whole surface you'll end up with a color match closer than the alternative.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ugh. :) We're talking 3'x6' and I already don't like sanding…

Part of me wonders if I can get enough layers of finish going to fill the defects. Tung oil, however, soaks in more than it sits on the surface, correct?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Who does?

Tung oil does both, as previously mentioned it depends on the temp humidity and species, 70° and dry air will help absorption but only so much. The issue would be in overlap, tends to look like water stain marks, hard maple takes on an orangey yellow sort of look, (never worked with soft). Again if I didn't wet the surface 1st to sand the raised grain I'd sand between the 1st 2 coats then nylon pad between further coats, unless there was a whoops that needed attention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.