LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
...and what the heck it fell out of?

I've had health problems lately that have kept me out of the shop, and the guy who "helps" around the house was loose in there without supervision. When I returned to my shop yesterday, I found this thing on the floor. It looks vaguely familiar, but it is making me crazy because I can't identify it. Can you help?

The triangular point is flat, and the scooped out portion on the shaft has sharp edges.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Could it be a plunging flush trim bit? Is there such a thing? Look at page 5 of the Whiteside catalog, left side, halfway down.

Edit: actually, it looks more like what Whiteside calls a "panel bit". Page 10, upper right. My question is, what are these for?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much, guys!
It does look like the Whiteside panel bit, something probably purchased years ago and completely forgotten living in the bottom of a toolbox drawer. It had me worried because it was on the floor next to my planer. Whew! Now I only have to wonder what he was using it for.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
picking his teeth ,
or his ears .

it depends on how far back in the mountains you live (LOL) !

·
Registered
160 Posts
what this bit is mainly for or at least what I see it used for is cutting out a window or such, they put up a sheet of plywood and cover everything then come back and plunge it in and go inside the frame in stead of cutting it out before hand

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.