LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I am building a router table w/ cabinet and I bought 1/2 ply and I saw this DIY programme where she used teak oil on a dark wood and I really like the finish..

Can I actuslly use the product on pine ply?

Thanks as always
Ed

·
Registered
28,289 Posts
Hi Jim, I hear you on the blotchy pine! I was wondering if the pre stain conditioner that you use on maple would work well on pine to avoid the blotchiness with teak oil??

Jim

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Jim
Charles Neil's Blotch control works well on plywood and pine but I've never used it with Teak oil ,some oil products you need two coats of blotch control. I think it might work better than the store bought conditioner because Charles is water base and the store bought is oil base which means the oil in the finish can break it down.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Actually googling it leads me to believe it doesn't even have Varnish in it, just linseed oil, a chemical dryer and thinner. No UV protection other than whatever film buildup you get, no significant weather protection (and probably no blotching).

So many of the finishes on the market are snake oil (figuratively, no snakes dies to produce them).

I'm sure this will work on your project, but it's not going to look any different than diluted BLO.

Hydrotreated distilate, light 21-30%
Solvent naphtha (petroleum) medium aliphatic 1-10%
Linseed Oil, Acid Refined 1-10%
Cobalt Compounds <1%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.