LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a cnc it's a shapeoko 2 I have benn trying to use sketchup to draw stuff but I'm looking for a cam program. I can't open up my sketchup files in easel or maker cam. I would like to use a free program but would not mind paying for a program if it's not to expensive. Or trying a different cad program.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
So the problem is DXF. If you can get sketchup to produce a dxf, then Cambam or one of the other free CAM programs will do what you want.

The free version of Sketchup will not export a DXF file, but the paid one does. BTW, did you know that if you are an educator, you can get a free copy of the full version? You need a faculty ID.

Anyway, there is a plugin that will do DXF export from the free version, but I've had some issues with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use TurboCAD to produce a dxf file that I use in CAMBAM to produce the nc file that Mach3 uses to control the router. TurboCAD is a very inexpensive program that is relatively easy to use. And CAMBAM allows you to try it out before you buy it. And it's only $150. All three of these programs work very well together. CAMBAM has a rudimentary CAD, but I would not want to try anything complicated. Also keep in mind that i just use this for 2.5d work, but it meets all my needs.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
There is a dxf export plugin for Sketchup (several actually but only one that works). I forget the name of the functional plugin and no seldom use it since purchasing Sketchup Pro. It also does stl exports which I need for working with solids in CAM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.