LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Some background info first. I have a project where I need to make new raised panel doors to match existing raised panel doors. The profile of the raised panel is such that I cannot find a router bit that matches it. Fortunately I was able to find the profile with Amana shaper cutter no 931. The thing is that I have zero experience using a shaper. Hence this call for help.

I found a place where I can rent time in a shop that is equipped with a shaper that has a 3/4" spindle. So I would like to use cutter 931 with a suitable ball bearing on a 3/4" shaft. How do I do that? What T-bushings or sleeve bushings do I need? What ball bearing can I use?

Here are specific issues I have in mind:

Bearing Selection:
Amana recommends the C-017 ball bearing for cutter no 931. Inside diameter 1 1/4", outside diameter 2 1/2". Should I use this bearing with a 3/4" to 1 1/4" bushing or should I use bearing C-016 which already has a 3/4" inside diameter and a 2 1/2" outside diameter? It seems that using C-016 would be simpler (no bushings needed) but is that OK?

Bushing Selection:
The web page for cutter 931 says that replacement T-bushings for that cutter are BU-720. However that bushing has a 1" inside diameter. I need 3/4". Would there be anything wrong with using a 3/4" to 1 1/4" bushing like BU-600? Is there a safety issue here with such a large cutter?

Stacking the Components
I am unsure how to stack the various components on the shaft: T-bushings, sleeve bushings, cutter, ball bearing. What would be the exact sequence assuming the shaper's rotation direction is the same as a router table?

I contacted Amana about this. The guy understood my questions and made suggestions but I could feel he was not 100% sure about this.

Thanks for your help

Senomozi

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Senomozi

I have a raised panel door company, so maybe I can help some.

Bearings and T-bushings-You can actually go either way. I couldn't find Amana's T-bushings and bearings so I can't give you their numbers. Some manufacturers offer long and short T-bushings. The long ones would go throught the panel cutter and into the bearing. Use one short and one long. I do this all the time. Then you can stack the bearing either on top of or below the cutter, depending on the rotation of cutter and shaper-and whether you are cutting face up or face down. Also a factor is going to be whether you are using a template for the bearing to ride against or running the bearing directly against the workpiece. You could also need a spacer.

Stacking components-This will depend on all the variables mentioned above.

I will also Pm my phone # if you need more info
Kent

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.