LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there. I'm attempting to make some cabinets for my closet. I was wondering if someone might take a look at the drawing I made up and let me know if I'm on the right track.

This drawing is for a 3 drawer cabinet that will be on the floor. It will be made out of 3/4" oak ply with solid oak facing.

I do know the bottom dado is in the wrong position. I also know the facing dimentions might be incorrect, I also haven't figured out the deminsions for the drawers so I havn't included those yet.

I'm doing a 3/8" x 3/8" rabbet to secure the top. I will rabbet both the top and sides for increased strength.
Also the only tools I have to work with will be a router table, circular saw w/ 8' cutting guide and a cheap craftsman table saw and a biscuit jointer….

here's the drawing. https://flic.kr/p/4114504591
thanks for looking

·
Registered
714 Posts
Needs some work Brantly
The back is is flush with the top and will show the edge.
I didn't see a toe or any parts for bottom supports.
Several dimensions are wrong.
I'm not sure why you would go to the expense to use 1/4" oak plywood for the back but use mdf for the bottom unless you have these materials at hand already.
I am assuming you are doing mortice and tenon joints of some type on the styles and rails. Difficult with the tools you have.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
I was going to bring what Dan did about the face frame it looks like you Mortice an tenoning it. For a first project using pocket screws are much easier. You can pick up a single hole kreg pocket hole jig and drill bit set for around $20.00

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, some explination… the oak ply on the back is because I will have plenty left over from the cabinet that has doors. I want the nice back in that cabinet. The MDF on the bottom, because there wasn't enough oak ply. I did put in a toe kick, but didn't put in the dimension it will be 3"high, 3" deep.

as for the face frame, I bought a biscuit jointer to attach it to the main frame. I figured I would also use it to make the face frame… If there is a better way I'm open to suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.