And I can see into the future. It's going to look pretty neat.Fingerboard
I mostly work on this project at my place of work and a pile of broken cellos and double basses delayed this post.
To create the fingerboard (and tailpiece) I laminated together a piece of mahogany and oak. (Note to self, the oak can be thinner next time.)
The first thing I did was to cut it to length (a little oversize) and plane the sides down to the appropriate taper. Then I planed the radius on the mahogany side.
Then I flipped it over and coved out part of the underside. This is basically done to lighten the piece and make it look less blocky. One of the cellos I repaired recently had a fingerboard that was not coved out and it looked very much like a toy.
Here's the fingerboard, neck and the ribs set together. Before I set the neck, I'll temporarily glue the fingerboard to it to aid in visually aligning things.
I was wondering what had happened with this one, Dave. Good to see it moving forward again and getting closer to making music.
- Dave Polaschek
58.2 KB Views: 2
57.1 KB Views: 3
53 KB Views: 3