LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Plan!

The beautiful Seattle Gloom has returned early this year, so it is finally time to get my Work Shop(Garage) up and running. I am going to try and document this as I go. It will be good for me to see how far I end up from my "plan". In my experience plans are like a guide that points me in a direction.

This first Post is actually made up of some "After" shots. When I started it was a total disaster that I couldn't safely walk across. These pictures are after spending about 2 hours cleaning and doing enough organizing to start. Because of the lack of storage & my inability to do much bending over I have had to recruit the family once a week to help me clean up a garage that had become completely trashed. It has made it nearly impossible to get anything done. Besides not being able to find anything, I get completely paralyzed by clutter. Funny when I was younger I lived in clutter and chaos but now that I have lived in an organized clutter free home I just can't handle it anymore. So the real end goal is to create a workshop with plenty of space and storage, with maximized mobility.

I am kind of torn as to what to do first. I need to either build my Monster Router Table or tear down the existing crap shelving that came with the house. Man I have no clue how that shelving hasn't collapsed. Although one of the doors did fall off a few weeks ago and just barely missed my head. I guess even the ugliest joint will stay together if you put 50 or so nails in it.

Once those two tasks are complete the plan is to build the Amazing Wall O' Cabinets. I am going to use the "One Wall Workshop" from ShopNotes issue 92 as a guide. I am going to use the Shop Utility Cabinets from Workbench, Vol. 53, No. 2.

I already have a couple pieces ready to go. I was able to buy a couple of 25" cabinets at an auction last week for $10 each. Quite a score that day as I also got a nice big Oak Library Table for 5 bucks! I also have a most of a Universal Tool Stand Built. Just need to finish up the Add Ons.

So that is the plan! Where I actually end up is anyones guess.

Inherited Shelving

Photobucket

Photobucket

·
Registered
299 Posts
The Plan!

The beautiful Seattle Gloom has returned early this year, so it is finally time to get my Work Shop(Garage) up and running. I am going to try and document this as I go. It will be good for me to see how far I end up from my "plan". In my experience plans are like a guide that points me in a direction.

This first Post is actually made up of some "After" shots. When I started it was a total disaster that I couldn't safely walk across. These pictures are after spending about 2 hours cleaning and doing enough organizing to start. Because of the lack of storage & my inability to do much bending over I have had to recruit the family once a week to help me clean up a garage that had become completely trashed. It has made it nearly impossible to get anything done. Besides not being able to find anything, I get completely paralyzed by clutter. Funny when I was younger I lived in clutter and chaos but now that I have lived in an organized clutter free home I just can't handle it anymore. So the real end goal is to create a workshop with plenty of space and storage, with maximized mobility.

I am kind of torn as to what to do first. I need to either build my Monster Router Table or tear down the existing crap shelving that came with the house. Man I have no clue how that shelving hasn't collapsed. Although one of the doors did fall off a few weeks ago and just barely missed my head. I guess even the ugliest joint will stay together if you put 50 or so nails in it.

Once those two tasks are complete the plan is to build the Amazing Wall O' Cabinets. I am going to use the "One Wall Workshop" from ShopNotes issue 92 as a guide. I am going to use the Shop Utility Cabinets from Workbench, Vol. 53, No. 2.

I already have a couple pieces ready to go. I was able to buy a couple of 25" cabinets at an auction last week for $10 each. Quite a score that day as I also got a nice big Oak Library Table for 5 bucks! I also have a most of a Universal Tool Stand Built. Just need to finish up the Add Ons.

Inherited Shelving

Photobucket

Photobucket
I also have a one wall workshop which I found very useful when building small projects, However when I began to build the table that is in my projects folder I found I needed more space. I wanted an assembly table but did not have the room so I build one from a plan in workbench that was moblil. It works great In fact you can see it on my home page. Consider a good place to build the project. This is very improtant in a small shop.
Walt

·
Registered
32,187 Posts
The Plan!

Inherited Shelving

Photobucket

Photobucket
Crush…, I see a lot of potential from where you are starting. You have some nice equipment and it will be interesting to watch how your shop progresses.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
The Plan!

Inherited Shelving

Photobucket

Photobucket
It reminds me of my garage 2 years ago.

I would say do not bring down those shelves yet. Cleanup some more to make room.
Maybe put move some stuff to outside shed/storage if you have any.

Once you have enough space build your router tabe. Then start on those cabinets.
I think the router table will be needed for this project.

Good luck. We certainly will befollowing.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
The Plan!

Inherited Shelving

Photobucket

Photobucket
Nice Shopsmith. I've never used one but they look like a real nice piece of equipment.

I found out that you can turn a little corner that your wife allows you to use as a shop in HER garage into a whole garage workshop if you do it in stages. Start by calling it "the workshop" instead of the garage, then make her a nice piece of furniture that requires extra space so the car will have to be moved out for a little while. Then comment on how your workshop is capable of more nice things for her and suddenly she's ASKING if she can park in the "workshop" and you're saying "sorry, I can't spare my workshop space for a car. Wish we had a garage.."

It works!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next up Air Filtration

As winter comes up on the horizon I will be doing most of my work with the garage closed. That will make my dust problems even worse.

I have had Asthma all of my life. It improved as I reached adulthood but probably not as much as it would have if I had not been smoking a pack a day for 15 years. Hey if you drank a fifth or two of Vodka a day you would smoke too! LOL All I can say for that is my 7 year old son got me to stop smoking last Christmas by telling me not to bother coming back in when I said I was going out for a smoke after Christmas dinner. I say this for background not as an opportunity to talk about the evils of inhaling burning objects.

So now I have not to good breathing but not don't have COPD or emphysema yet…

I purchased a Jet DC-1200 about 2 months ago. It is way more that I need for my little shop but what the heck I got a steal of a deal on it used. It does a pretty good job sucking up the dust and chips. I have a shopsmith which doesn't really have the best dust collection connections but it is workable. At that there is only so much the DC-1200 can do. I am more concerned with the shortcomings of the DC-1200. The main one being the 30 micron bag. In my mind that is completely unacceptable. It turns a Bad Ass dust collector into a poor excuse for vacuum cleaner. I have looked high and low on the internet for a more efficient filer bag that would work with the DC-1200 but have come up with nothing. Does anyone know of a third party company that makes bags that will work with the Jet DC-1200?

The second part of my plan to clean up the air in my shop is a shop built second stage dust collection add-on. The main purpose of which will be to lengthen the life of my DC-1200 by reducing the size of objects hurtling at the fan blades. I cringe every time I hear something PING of of one of the blades. I am going to start with the simple garbage can setup using the Rockler components since I already have the Rockler Dust Right hose components. The question is, can I improve my small particle dust collection using the second stage setup. I have seen "Cyclone" setups with HEPA filters inside them but I am on a super tight budget. Cleaning the air is a top priority but I can only spend what I can spend so I have to find the best possible solution withing my budget. I am open to any ideas on this one

Finally is installing a big central Air Filtration unit. I have plenty of ceiling room available for installing a mounted air filtration unit. The problem is I can't even come close to affording a decent unit, even one Craigslist. The ones I can afford aren't with the discounted amount they are being sold at. So I am left to over engineer my own solution. But alas I need to do even more research. I have read a couple of great articles here on LJ's but I am looking for a good 3rd party information source. Anyone know a decent website with honest information on it?

My thoughts for a design are similar to what I have seen on LJ's a box with a blower in the middle and filters on each end. Only I am thinking of pumping that up a notch or two. I am definitely going to add a high end HEPA filter on the exhaust end of the box. I think the ones you can get for $50-$70 at the Box store should work but I know nothing about that stuff. On the inflow side of the box I thought I would use cheap furnace filters to "pre-filter" the air. But I am thinking I could add some baffling between the blower and the pre-filters. On that I am wondering what the best material might be. Perhaps a washable type cloth? Or some disposable cheese cloth like paper material. Of course the key is balancing filtering with Air Flow and ease of cleaning. Have to have enough air flow to circulate the air in the shop. Have to have very small particle dust filtration. I plan on using some form of weather stripping to create gaskets around each filter. But the real key is making it easy to clean, otherwise I will never clean the dang thing. I know myself. Or rather I know my wife. I won't be able to clean it without making myself sick so I will likely ask her to do it and she will gladly clean it for me because she knows it will make me sick cleaning it. She is one hell of a woman! But I also know that she will make me pay for her cleaning it so I have to make it easy to do.

So I am open to any advice or comments. If you have built a similar unit what would you have done differently? Know a good resource, I would love more information. Dang this little hobby has me more busy learning and researching that making dust! Oh well that is what happens trying to build a workshop from nothing on a shoestring budget. But hey at least I am learning all kinds of stuff that will help me later on, hopefully!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!!!

-Chris

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Next up Air Filtration

As winter comes up on the horizon I will be doing most of my work with the garage closed. That will make my dust problems even worse.

I have had Asthma all of my life. It improved as I reached adulthood but probably not as much as it would have if I had not been smoking a pack a day for 15 years. Hey if you drank a fifth or two of Vodka a day you would smoke too! LOL All I can say for that is my 7 year old son got me to stop smoking last Christmas by telling me not to bother coming back in when I said I was going out for a smoke after Christmas dinner. I say this for background not as an opportunity to talk about the evils of inhaling burning objects.

I purchased a Jet DC-1200 about 2 months ago. It is way more that I need for my little shop but what the heck I got a steal of a deal on it used. It does a pretty good job sucking up the dust and chips. I have a shopsmith which doesn't really have the best dust collection connections but it is workable. At that there is only so much the DC-1200 can do. I am more concerned with the shortcomings of the DC-1200. The main one being the 30 micron bag. In my mind that is completely unacceptable. It turns a Bad Ass dust collector into a poor excuse for vacuum cleaner. I have looked high and low on the internet for a more efficient filer bag that would work with the DC-1200 but have come up with nothing. Does anyone know of a third party company that makes bags that will work with the Jet DC-1200?

The second part of my plan to clean up the air in my shop is a shop built second stage dust collection add-on. The main purpose of which will be to lengthen the life of my DC-1200 by reducing the size of objects hurtling at the fan blades. I cringe every time I hear something PING of of one of the blades. I am going to start with the simple garbage can setup using the Rockler components since I already have the Rockler Dust Right hose components. The question is, can I improve my small particle dust collection using the second stage setup. I have seen "Cyclone" setups with HEPA filters inside them but I am on a super tight budget. Cleaning the air is a top priority but I can only spend what I can spend so I have to find the best possible solution withing my budget. I am open to any ideas on this one

Finally is installing a big central Air Filtration unit. I have plenty of ceiling room available for installing a mounted air filtration unit. The problem is I can't even come close to affording a decent unit, even one Craigslist. The ones I can afford aren't with the discounted amount they are being sold at. So I am left to over engineer my own solution. But alas I need to do even more research. I have read a couple of great articles here on LJ's but I am looking for a good 3rd party information source. Anyone know a decent website with honest information on it?

My thoughts for a design are similar to what I have seen on LJ's a box with a blower in the middle and filters on each end. Only I am thinking of pumping that up a notch or two. I am definitely going to add a high end HEPA filter on the exhaust end of the box. I think the ones you can get for $50-$70 at the Box store should work but I know nothing about that stuff. On the inflow side of the box I thought I would use cheap furnace filters to "pre-filter" the air. But I am thinking I could add some baffling between the blower and the pre-filters. On that I am wondering what the best material might be. Perhaps a washable type cloth? Or some disposable cheese cloth like paper material. Of course the key is balancing filtering with Air Flow and ease of cleaning. Have to have enough air flow to circulate the air in the shop. Have to have very small particle dust filtration. I plan on using some form of weather stripping to create gaskets around each filter. But the real key is making it easy to clean, otherwise I will never clean the dang thing. I know myself. Or rather I know my wife. I won't be able to clean it without making myself sick so I will likely ask her to do it and she will gladly clean it for me because she knows it will make me sick cleaning it. She is one hell of a woman! But I also know that she will make me pay for her cleaning it so I have to make it easy to do.

So I am open to any advice or comments. If you have built a similar unit what would you have done differently? Know a good resource, I would love more information. Dang this little hobby has me more busy learning and researching that making dust! Oh well that is what happens trying to build a workshop from nothing on a shoestring budget. But hey at least I am learning all kinds of stuff that will help me later on, hopefully!

-Chris
I made this:
It helps, but it's only 1 part of the solution. At least it's affordable.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Next up Air Filtration

-Chris
I took a furnace air handler blower/motor and mounted it in the basement window to vent outside. It really moves the air but also requires a fresh air return or it 's not efficient. I also put a smaller similar unit up in the ceiling- between the joists that just circulate the air. I have a furnace filter on that one to "clean" the air. Can post pictures if you like.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Next up Air Filtration

-Chris
I use one of the boxes in the ceiling. It is very good. It has a pre-filter and a main zigzag one inside. When running it really cleans the air. I'm intending putting in a second one to run when the lights go in. http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-mtm-air-filter-prod22779/ it has a 5 micron pre and a 1micron main.
My chip collector is on its way out it only moves 950 m3 per hour. The new one does 2700 m3 per hour and has a 1micron filter http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-ade2200-extractor-prod21168/ .
I'm looking also at all the LJ's cyclone builds as I think that will also help and increase the life of the extractor.
It is also cooling down here now and I dont want to pump my hot air out.
The one thing I want to add is a carbon monoxide alarm as I'm recirculating all the air. I think that if I can connect it to a kitchen intake fan, this is only a thought.
jamie

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A Nice, but difficult Dilemma

So after months of being flat ass broke we have finally resolved and outstanding issue which has resulted in a cash settlement. After meeting our savings goals and other critical items I have a little bit to spend on my workshop. So my dilemma is what to do with it.

I originally had been set selling the old Incra Ultra I bought and replacing it with the LS Super System. I like the new design and the Wonder Fence is exactly what I need, oh ok exactly what I want. I don't have a jointer so I would really benefit from the shaper type features in the Wonder Fence.

I have spent the past two weeks laid up with a sinus infection. That gave me a chance to learn Sketch up and fully design my Bad Ass Monster Router Table. It is a monster too, L44"xW30"xH44" with all kinds of storage, a down draft box, a bit drawer, the works. It's originally based on the table Blake, SWM, & PurpLev, but of course I had to super-size it! So yeah it is the Barry Bonds version of Norm's Router Table, allegedly.

Now of course if I am going to build a new table I have to add some little things. For one I need a router plate, for that I decided on the Incra aluminum. But hey if I am going to be doing Dovetails I need to be able to easily change the bit height so really I need a router lift. Thus I had resigned myself to spending $300 on the Woodpeck/Incra Router Lift. I almost convinced myself to buy the table top but talked myself out of it.

All total the router table was going to set me back about 800 or so.

Right now I am using a Shopsmith Mark V 510 for my tablesaw needs. It words good and I love having a Lathe, Drill Press, Disc Sander, really all that is the Shopsmith package. Really the Table saw part works pretty good. Some of it annoys me like having to move the table to adjust the blade height & angle. But the real problem is Table Saws scare the beejesus out of me. I don't like them, I never have. I have the ultimate respect for them and am cautious about them with my every use. It is really to the point where I sometime avoid using the most used tool in Woodworking. I have no problem using other tools. Even my chop saw doesn't bother me and my uncle lost 2 fingers on one of those things. My favorite tool to use is the Bandsaw and those don't really have much safety guards built into them.

This is where the Sawstop comes in. Since the day I first saw that damn thing I have wanted one! But it has been severely out of reach. I mean not even close to achievable. I mean maybe I could have strung things together saved up for a year and bought the contractor version. But now I can go right out and buy the Pro Series, their hybrid cabinet saw. The only problem is, if I do that then that is it, No Incra, No Bandsaw Risor, No Bench Top Lathe, No buying 100 bf of Hondo, zero zilch zip, it's my xmas, fathers day, bday, valentines day, arbor day present for years to come.

So yes the Sawstap is worth every penny to me. My wifes grandfather lost 3 fingers to a table saw so it's worth it to her. The question is, is it worth replacing a tool I already have and losing out on other tools that would really be nice in the shop. So yeah sure I know "Aww I should be so lucky to have your dilemma" but man it is going to be a tough one. I spend hours researching a table saw blade that costs $42. I don't want to think about how long it's goiing to take me for this $2,500 purchase! YIKES!!!

I thought writing this would help me with the decision but nope….......

·
Registered
96 Posts

So after months of being flat ass broke we have finally resolved and outstanding issue which has resulted in a cash settlement. After meeting our savings goals and other critical items I have a little bit to spend on my workshop. So my dilemma is what to do with it.

I originally had been set selling the old Incra Ultra I bought and replacing it with the LS Super System. I like the new design and the Wonder Fence is exactly what I need, oh ok exactly what I want. I don't have a jointer so I would really benefit from the shaper type features in the Wonder Fence.

I have spent the past two weeks laid up with a sinus infection. That gave me a chance to learn Sketch up and fully design my Bad Ass Monster Router Table. It is a monster too, L44"xW30"xH44" with all kinds of storage, a down draft box, a bit drawer, the works. It's originally based on the table Blake, SWM, & PurpLev, but of course I had to super-size it! So yeah it is the Barry Bonds version of Norm's Router Table, allegedly.

Now of course if I am going to build a new table I have to add some little things. For one I need a router plate, for that I decided on the Incra aluminum. But hey if I am going to be doing Dovetails I need to be able to easily change the bit height so really I need a router lift. Thus I had resigned myself to spending $300 on the Woodpeck/Incra Router Lift. I almost convinced myself to buy the table top but talked myself out of it.

Right now I am using a Shopsmith Mark V 510 for my tablesaw needs. It words good and I love having a Lathe, Drill Press, Disc Sander, really all that is the Shopsmith package. Really the Table saw part works pretty good. Some of it annoys me like having to move the table to adjust the blade height & angle. But the real problem is Table Saws scare the beejesus out of me. I don't like them, I never have. I have the ultimate respect for them and am cautious about them with my every use. It is really to the point where I sometime avoid using the most used tool in Woodworking. I have no problem using other tools. Even my chop saw doesn't bother me and my uncle lost 2 fingers on one of those things. My favorite tool to use is the Bandsaw and those don't really have much safety guards built into them.

This is where the Sawstop comes in. Since the day I first saw that damn thing I have wanted one! But it has been severely out of reach. I mean not even close to achievable. I mean maybe I could have strung things together saved up for a year and bought the contractor version. But now I can go right out and buy the Pro Series, their hybrid cabinet saw. The only problem is, if I do that then that is it, No Incra, No Bandsaw Risor, No Bench Top Lathe, No buying 100 bf of Hondo, zero zilch zip, it's my xmas, fathers day, bday, valentines day, arbor day present for years to come.

So yes the Sawstap is worth every penny to me. My wifes grandfather lost 3 fingers to a table saw so it's worth it to her. The question is, is it worth replacing a tool I already have and losing out on other tools that would really be nice in the shop. So yeah sure I know "Aww I should be so lucky to have your dilemma" but man it is going to be a tough one. I spend hours researching a table saw blade that costs $42. I don't want to think about how long it's goiing to take me for this $2,500 purchase! YIKES!!!

I lost a finger tip and nicked two others. When we moved, Lovely Wife demanded a saw stop. I have the big one. Not with standing the safety, it is a great tool.

·
Registered
147 Posts

when I was building out our shop, my father and I looked at many types of Table Saws, and a dealer gave us a DVD about the SawStop, we watched it and my mother said to get that one, even if it costs a bit more it will pay off if there is an accident.

I have the contractor version with the 52" table extension, it takes up lots of room but I love it.

Good luck and remember safety first!

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

Go for it! This is one of those tools that, after using it, you will be saying, "Why didn't I get it sooner".

·
Registered
630 Posts

Great question. Unfortunately, real economics kicks in. Getting exactly what you want today (SawStop), is instant gratification. Is it a case of, I NEED to have an Incra lift-system, bandsaw risor, or benchtop lathe in order to do the following jobs, or are these just tools that will one day get put to use?

If you use your TS more often than any other tool in the shop - then it's a no brainer - bring home the SawStop. If you have 15 other projects that you want to do, and will need the other tools - guess what?

ps - now I will say, gee - wish I had your problem ;)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts

Let me tell you what I do not like about mine.

The different cartridge for dado versus regular blade. Everytime you need to cut dados, you will need to replace the cartridge. It's easy to do but a pain.
If you take your miter trough and it touch the blade by accident you are in for a new balde and a new cartridge. That will set you about $140. Other saw will just cut throught the aluminum.

The tabletop dust collection is good but gets in the way. I got rid of mine.

Oh yea, when that break engage you feel complete emptiness.

It is an excellent table saw but I do prefer the powermatic that just seem more robust. The main thing going for it is the safety system.

If you need to move it around add the cost of the base. And don't forget another $89 for the dado cartridge that does not come with it. And also the dado insert too $39.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks for the input Lanwater. I can see where accidental triggering of the brake would suck! I usually have wood sacrificial fence attached to my miter saw. If I get a Sawstop I will make sure that turns into an always. Although I don't end up using the miter slider that much as I have a tool stand with an old Ryobi Miter Saw in the middle. But that does reinforce not letting ANYTHING conductive hit it while in use. I think though if the brake went off after hitting my hand I would only feel a rush of adrenaline!

It sounds like it's a good idea to have an extra brake cartridge on hand though.

Yeah the sheet I have lists all the extra costs involved. Being a Shopsmith owner I am no stranger to those.

Which model do you have? The 3 hp is still under consideration but would change my timeline. Really though if it wasn't for the safety I would be spending $600 on a used Delta or Grizzly 3 hp cabinet saw.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts

3hp cabinet saw. I also got the hydraulic base (the one with the jack) since I park all my tools when I am done.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it's Decided

Well I slept on it and talked about it with some friends. I am going to go with a Sawstop!

Thanks to everyone who took a minute to add some insight.

So now I get to start selling stuff on eBay and saving up for the big purchase.

Only decision left is which model to go with. I have narrowed it down the the 1.75 HP Cabinet or the 3.0 HP cabinet. There is about a $600 difference between the two. Just not convinced I need a 3 HP saw. While I do bog down at times when using my Shopsmith, it is usually a power consumption issue more than anything else though. I am upgrading my shop power so that won't be an issue any longer. That and the Shopsmith "Develops" up to 2 HP of power" which is sketchy at best. But then again I would hate to buy a saw for the next 30 years and have it be underpowered, that would kind of suck.

Well off to do some more research, should be fun!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
So it's Decided

Well I slept on it and talked about it with some friends. I am going to go with a Sawstop!

Only decision left is which model to go with. I have narrowed it down the the 1.75 HP Cabinet or the 3.0 HP cabinet. There is about a $600 difference between the two. Just not convinced I need a 3 HP saw. While I do bog down at times when using my Shopsmith, it is usually a power consumption issue more than anything else though. I am upgrading my shop power so that won't be an issue any longer. That and the Shopsmith "Develops" up to 2 HP of power" which is sketchy at best. But then again I would hate to buy a saw for the next 30 years and have it be underpowered, that would kind of suck.

I have the 3hp and I think you should go with that.
You do not buy a tablesaw everyday and you will need the extra power with thick hardwood.

This said mine was available only in 220v.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
So it's Decided

Definitely the 3 HP. I consider 3 HP the minimum for a cabinet style tablesaw. You will be very happy with the higher HP capabilities.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.