LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have been asked to build a platform that will be roughly 5 foot by 3 foot. It will sit on a sloping floor. The back of the platform will be 12 inches off the floor and the front needs to be 14 inches off the floor in order to be level. I plan on building the frame out of 2×3s or 2×4s with a 3/4 inch plywood top. Has to be strong enough to hold two adults. My question is what angle do I need to cut the support braces for the frame. Hope this makes some sense.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Which side is 12" and which is the 14". Is one of the the 3 foot sides at 12 and the other at 14 or is the 5 ft sides? You can use trig to calculate what you need or set up the plywood and measure the distances.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Make the platform level and square, just one set of legs is longer.

Bevel the bottom on the feet using run / rise. Draw it to scale and use a bevel gauge to pull the angle off the drawing. Transfer the angle to the saw and trim the bottom of all four feet at this angle. Trim one pair 2" shorter than the other and you should be able to make a level platform with square sides.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Lay a 2×4 on edge. Position it so it runs in a straight line from the top of the slope to the bottom of the slope. Stand one of your 2×4 frame boards on its end so it is straight up and down (vertical) and place it against the board on the floor. Draw a line on the vertical board where it meets the top edge of board on the floor. This is the angle to cut the leg so it will sit on the sloped floor and be level at the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.