LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am nearly completed with my first chess table. So far so good.

I decided it might look better and be more functional if it sat on a box type of base. I found some wood for the base and afterward discovered I cut all my pieces out of Aspen. It was then I realized I was in for another staining nightmare. So I think I will leave it natural.

My thought now is to dress it up a little bit so it's just not another box with mitered corners. I thought I would put those wedges or whatever they are in the outside corners. Can someone tell me what those are actually called and maybe some simple direction as to the technique.

I may be misguided, but I thought I saw some type of jig on LJ that would put the box on a 45 angle and then you run the jig over the saw blade cutting a kerf through the piece. Is that correct?

Edit: I think I found something, Miter keys! That's what I want to do.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dave if you are still looking for how to make a good mitered corner box with splines, Andy made a tutorial in his Blog located here. He shows the jig and blade he used for his boxes and also has a jig for the miter saw for the mitered corners. Actually they are bevel cuts. I made a similar stop system for my table saw that is mounted on a sled. I find that for box sides that are taller it is better to use the table saw. Eagle River Woodworking has a great tutorial on how to make their "Super Sled" you can view here. Good luck with your box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.