LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
They are great for what they are intended. They are scrapers, and in my experience produce a l lot of grain tear out, which results in a lot of sanding, which results in a lot of cussing. I have a few, and have turned a lot of small projects with them. The edge is fantastic and they are very forgiving. That said, I also have a Crown PM bowl gouge, and it is a pleasure to use. Yes, it must me sharpened, but it is a difference analogous to the difference between a real nice dinner, and a real nice dinner with a glass of Balvenie Scotch and Jennifer Anniston staring longingly in your eyes. You can get to the same place, but the second is a much more memorable experience with some real nice options available to you. If it were me doing it over again, I'd buy an Easy Finisher, learn some basics, then buy a Rikon grinder, a sharpening jig, and a few Crown PM tools (or Sorby), and learn the art.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Jeff … If you do a Google search for 'Easy Wood tools reviews', you'll turn up loads of information from independent reviewers, the manufacturer, and re-sellers.

That being said, Sawdust2012 (in my opinion) has it right.

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Also agree with Sawdust. I have 2 Easy Wood Tools and 2 shop made tools. The ones I made work as well or better than the EWTs. With a grinder, hacksaw, drill, and tap, you can make a full set of carbide tools for a fraction the cost of one Easy Wood Tool. Even if you have to buy the grinder, hacksaw, drill and tap, you will still come out cheaper.

I use my carbides as roughing tools to save sharpening, then make finish cuts with standard gouges and skews.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I fully agree with Sawdust 2012, Gerry and Rick. I have both the EWT rougher and finisher, and they are great for hogging out a lot of wood quickly, and even getting to an OK surface with the finisher - but you really have to use a nicely sharpened HSS tool to get the smooth edge you want on a finished project. Invest in one or two good quality skews and gouges and you'll never regret it.

Ron

·
Registered
81 Posts
I fully agree with Sawdust 2012, Gerry and Rick. I have both the EWT rougher and finisher, and they are great for hogging out a lot of wood quickly, and even getting to an OK surface with the finisher - but you really have to use a nicely sharpened HSS tool to get the smooth edge you want on a finished project. Invest in one or two good quality skews and gouges and you ll never regret it.

Ron

- Ron Ford
Ron you are scaring me talking about skews when he is asking about bowl turning tools.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Didn't mean to encourage them on bowl turning, mpax. I was just suggesting that a good set of HSS tools is a necessity - not to use a skew on a bowl. Heck, I have enough trouble using a skew on spindles!! :)

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.