LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

bought patterns

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Dark_Lightning 
I have never bought a pattern as I make my own... but I'm curious about the copyright issues brought up in this thread. If I make a pattern from a copyrighted photo, does that constitute a copyright violation? For example, I found this picture in a Jeep ad online, and copied the photo to make the pattern. I'm sure that Jeep would claim ownership (and copyright) to the photo - even if just implied.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light

Does my work violate copyright, or is it sufficiently different to be a work of it's own? The resultant work is not an exact reproduction, and it's definitely using a vastly different medium, so I believe I can consider it my own work of art and ownership. I don't sell them though, so I'm not really all that concerned... just curious.

I've seen many examples of this - particularly with photos of famous people. A quick google search for 'scroll saw portraits' turns up dozens ;)

Cheers,
Brad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.