LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting Started ::

I always hear about blog this and blog that, but have yet to ever post anything of my own. This is more of an experiment on my part than an attempt to develop a reader base. I am not quite sure anyone out there wants to read my ramblings about life and how woodworking fits into mine.

Well here it goes…

Taking the shop class in high school changed my life in many ways. First and foremost it developed in me a love of woodworking, the process that goes with it, and the feel of accomplishment when you finish building your first piece of furniture, step back smiling and think to yourself, did I really just build this? I still get that feeling when I finish a piece, but I will always remember my first, I think everyone remembers their first (mine happened to be an Adirondack chair made out of pressure treated lumber that sat in my backyard for a good 6-7 years before finally giving out, not a bad life span for a first piece).

During this same time I also took an AP Computer Science class (much easier than it actually sounds) and this introduced me to the other side of the spectrum and the money potential that comes with it. Regretfully I now, still only 23, sit at a desk (a boring cubicle type, not even a nice arts and craft style like this ) here in SW Virginia staring at a computer screen all day while trying to save enough to pay off the student loans (big mistake getting those) and waiting for the weekend to arrive when I drive out to the country (Floyd, VA) to work with a great group of craftsman. These guys are amazing, they run the whole gamut (sp?) from dropping the tree in your front yard, milling it in theirs, air drying the wood for years, to fine tuning those pieces of wood so that they can then sell it back to you as a piece of elegant furniture that your family will enjoy for years to come…

This is the first entry in this blog-o-random-thoughts of mine and hopefully my writing style will continue to improve and eventually be somewhat tolerable by the majority of you guys (I have be told by Obi that "yall" is not acceptable for this site, so it has been changed to "you guys" for you yanks… haha).

Hope all goes well in the shop for you and appreciate your stopping by.

Signing off - BenZ

·
Registered
396 Posts

I always hear about blog this and blog that, but have yet to ever post anything of my own. This is more of an experiment on my part than an attempt to develop a reader base. I am not quite sure anyone out there wants to read my ramblings about life and how woodworking fits into mine.

Well here it goes…

Taking the shop class in high school changed my life in many ways. First and foremost it developed in me a love of woodworking, the process that goes with it, and the feel of accomplishment when you finish building your first piece of furniture, step back smiling and think to yourself, did I really just build this? I still get that feeling when I finish a piece, but I will always remember my first, I think everyone remembers their first (mine happened to be an Adirondack chair made out of pressure treated lumber that sat in my backyard for a good 6-7 years before finally giving out, not a bad life span for a first piece).

During this same time I also took an AP Computer Science class (much easier than it actually sounds) and this introduced me to the other side of the spectrum and the money potential that comes with it. Regretfully I now, still only 23, sit at a desk (a boring cubicle type, not even a nice arts and craft style like this ) here in SW Virginia staring at a computer screen all day while trying to save enough to pay off the student loans (big mistake getting those) and waiting for the weekend to arrive when I drive out to the country (Floyd, VA) to work with a great group of craftsman. These guys are amazing, they run the whole gamut (sp?) from dropping the tree in your front yard, milling it in theirs, air drying the wood for years, to fine tuning those pieces of wood so that they can then sell it back to you as a piece of elegant furniture that your family will enjoy for years to come…

This is the first entry in this blog-o-random-thoughts of mine and hopefully my writing style will continue to improve and eventually be somewhat tolerable by the majority of you guys (I have be told by Obi that "yall" is not acceptable for this site, so it has been changed to "you guys" for you yanks… haha).

Signing off - BenZ
Hey Ben,
Are you going to participate in the Thorsen table challenge? I'm looking for a strong showing from the 30 and under lumberjocks.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

Well here it goes…

Signing off - BenZ
haha @ JP ..

that's a great blog and I really enjoyed reading it!! You have a great writing style.
I'm looking forward to #2 already!!!

·
Registered
777 Posts

Well here it goes…

Signing off - BenZ
Hey, JP…

:p

Why not the 35 and under? Or the 40 and under? What's the big deal with 30?

Except for that whole thing about forgetting my age, I still feel young. Most of the time. Not in the mornings, though, especially if I've slept in the same position too long. And I'm not recovering from my workouts like I used to, either. Oh, and there's the whole bit about not being able to bend as easily at the knees (but hey, who doesn't feel like that after 30, right?)... other than that, I'm feeling great!

Good luck with your blogging, Ben. Keep at it!

·
Registered
396 Posts

Well here it goes…

Signing off - BenZ
I only made it 30 and under because I only have one more year to go before I'm there. I'm holding on to that as long as I can. :) I hope I didn't offend anyone. Regardless of age, I wish everyone the best of luck in this challenge. I'm just trying to stir up some of the younger crowd to get as excited about this challenge as I am. If you want to call it 35 or 40 and under, then consider it done.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

Well here it goes…

Signing off - BenZ
age? what is age?
The one thing that surprises me over and over again is how "I" still feel the same as when I did when I was 25-I'm wiser and my body is definitely not in as good of shape, but the "me" is the same.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Well here it goes…

Signing off - BenZ
Age, schmage all that is really important is that we've all been bitten by the same bug and we must commune in our…in our…misery?? If this is misery, then I don't want to know happiness. So BenZ keep up the blogging and whatever else comes out of it.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts

Well here it goes…

Signing off - BenZ
Ethan…. you know the old saying, don't trust anyone over 30… which is a big problem for us, eh?

I think the 30 somethings are going to trounce the young'uns! (he said, tounge firmly planted in cheek ;)

Benz, at least you can take comfort in this life revelation now, rather than waiting until retirement to do what you really wanted to do. I'm seeing that a lot of us are seeking woodworking as a nice counterpoint to the days in front of the computer…

You should make yourself some nice wooded desk accessories to feel a little more at home. (mousepad, organizers, and so on. I've even seen wooden mice and keyboards!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Numero Dos

What to write about??

I went out of town this weekend (trip to Richmond, VA) so not much went on as far as wood working. I did try to convince my mother that the sofa table I promised her I would build should be in the Arts and Crafts style, so I could enter it into the contest here (is a sofa table able to be entered or does it have to be an end table?). She is supposed to get back to me so I may end up trying to build too tables at the same time, a simple one for her and a more complex one for myself so I can begin to play around with new types of joinery, at least for me, and new types of wood (where is the cheapest place to purchase ebony boards?)

All in all this was a pretty typical weekend for me. I say for me because the other employees here at my 9 to 5 (or J. O. B.) seem to find my stories a little "out there". Let me break this down for you. I have 3 lives, J O B, College, and Wood Worker. On a normal day I wake up at 7 get ready for work, put on the collared shirt and head out to sit at my desk (yippie…). At the J O B I read this, run through that, schedule meetings to talk about and see if we need to schedule another meeting, etc. etc. etc. It is a laid back atmosphere, but in the back of your mind you know the limits in what can be said and done. Then around 5:00 I shut down my computer, get in the car (Audi A4, I freakin love this car and highly recommend them to everyone) and head back home. I will use last Friday as an example, I pull up to my house and see about 20-30 people out in my front yard, there are girls in bikini tops (the weather is finally changing!) guys with no shirts on and everyone has a beer or cup filled with some type of alcoholic drink in their hand. A couple guys are throwing the Frisbee for my pup (she is a bulldog, but thinks she is a Lab) and I glance up on the porch and my buddy in holding the beer bong for this other guy who downs the whole thing in about 3 gulps (not too shaby). Now remember this is maybe 5:30 in the afternoon. I get out of the car still in my khakis and collared shirt and walk straight to my room to change into a T and jeans. I seriously have to shake my head and "morph" back into college mode before I head back out.

I know this little rambling had absolutely nothing to do about wood in any way (except for the fact that the floor everyone is spilling their beer on is hardwood, at least I think it is…), but I really had nothing else to talk about and felt like filling in part 2 of this blog. Let me know if we are supposed to keep these strictly about wood and wood working alone. And if we are then i will make sure and post a disclaimer at the top of each of these ramblings…

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Numero Dos

What to write about??

I went out of town this weekend (trip to Richmond, VA) so not much went on as far as wood working. I did try to convince my mother that the sofa table I promised her I would build should be in the Arts and Crafts style, so I could enter it into the contest here (is a sofa table able to be entered or does it have to be an end table?). She is supposed to get back to me so I may end up trying to build too tables at the same time, a simple one for her and a more complex one for myself so I can begin to play around with new types of joinery, at least for me, and new types of wood (where is the cheapest place to purchase ebony boards?)

All in all this was a pretty typical weekend for me. I say for me because the other employees here at my 9 to 5 (or J. O. B.) seem to find my stories a little "out there". Let me break this down for you. I have 3 lives, J O B, College, and Wood Worker. On a normal day I wake up at 7 get ready for work, put on the collared shirt and head out to sit at my desk (yippie…). At the J O B I read this, run through that, schedule meetings to talk about and see if we need to schedule another meeting, etc. etc. etc. It is a laid back atmosphere, but in the back of your mind you know the limits in what can be said and done. Then around 5:00 I shut down my computer, get in the car (Audi A4, I freakin love this car and highly recommend them to everyone) and head back home. I will use last Friday as an example, I pull up to my house and see about 20-30 people out in my front yard, there are girls in bikini tops (the weather is finally changing!) guys with no shirts on and everyone has a beer or cup filled with some type of alcoholic drink in their hand. A couple guys are throwing the Frisbee for my pup (she is a bulldog, but thinks she is a Lab) and I glance up on the porch and my buddy in holding the beer bong for this other guy who downs the whole thing in about 3 gulps (not too shaby). Now remember this is maybe 5:30 in the afternoon. I get out of the car still in my khakis and collared shirt and walk straight to my room to change into a T and jeans. I seriously have to shake my head and "morph" back into college mode before I head back out.

I know this little rambling had absolutely nothing to do about wood in any way (except for the fact that the floor everyone is spilling their beer on is hardwood, at least I think it is…), but I really had nothing else to talk about and felt like filling in part 2 of this blog. Let me know if we are supposed to keep these strictly about wood and wood working alone. And if we are then i will make sure and post a disclaimer at the top of each of these ramblings…

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ
Cheap Ebony…isn't that an oxymoron.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Numero Dos

What to write about??

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ
If you want to make your living doing furniture, I can tell you it will be a while before you can drive anything like an Audi A4. If you are making that kind of money you better keep your job so you can buy yourself a shop full of tools before you quit.

Start making furniture on the side, start figuring out the business aspect of it, because passion doesn't pay the bills. If you rely on furniture as your income, you have to approach it from the business standpoint. Most craftsmen lack the business acumen to be successful and to reap the financial rewards of building a bank account along with their reputation and furniture.

Building furniture "on the side" can be great money. But as a legitimate business, with real overhead and operating above board with the IRS, it is a tough row to hoe.

This is a wealth of information that I just downloaded to you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Numero Dos

What to write about??

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ
The A4 is an older model that costs less than 10K. Hopefully furniture can afford you such a car.

And isn't it a shame that a hard working craftsman that labors away day after day and creates art with their hands will hardly ever reach the same earning potential as a guy that sits at his desk and stares at a computer screen for 8 hours… The feeling of accomplishment and pride in your work can only fill the gap so much. Hopefully I can one day find a niche in this field so I can quit my job and fully support myself.

I do own another company at the moment that deals with screenprinting/embroidery/graphic design (IrieDogDesigns.com) that helps pay the bills (not very many of them, but some… like my daily energy drinks, I don't know why I like those things so much…)

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Numero Dos

What to write about??

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ
does this relate to woodworking? Well, running through the entire story I see the woodworking gene tugging you to include it more in your day. Perhaps somethings no long "fit" in your life and you want more woodworking in your life??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Numero Dos

What to write about??

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ
MsDebbieP - you have been very positive with your remarks not only for me, but for others as well and I would just like to say: Thank You. It is positive people like you that this world needs more of. Thanks

Thats all - hope you have a good one

-BenZ

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Numero Dos

What to write about??

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ
I certainly hope that you did not take my comments as acidic or negative, it is just the reality of it. Your comment on other business tells me you are an enterprising individual. This aspect needs to be combined with your craftsmanship to be successful.

Ok, I have to admit I thought the car cost more than it probably did.

Any way, the information I gave is truthful and upfront. The people that seem to pursue this profession cannot be deterred, it is a passion. They - we cannot help ourselves. But if you want to rely on it more heavily as income, it has to be approached from the proper angle.

I know of many people, including myself, that acquired their tool collection from income other than furniture, and then made the leap. It helps keep your debt burden lower. During that time you can mature as an artisan while you have solid income. It is a business that you have to build just like any other.

I am not stingy with info, I lay it all out. I hope it helps others, because others have helped me climb the learning curve. I am also aware my info is not inclusive of all there is to know.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Numero Dos

What to write about??

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ
thanks BenZ :)

Todd - you are one of many individuals at LJ with "a wealth of information". I can't even begin to describe all that I have learned about woodworking, about decision-making re: changing careers (to include more woodworking) and, well, that only touches the surface!

We are all here to learn or what would be the point of participating!! Some of it we treasure, some we discard, and some we store for future reference.

I am in awe at EVERYONE"s expertise.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Numero Dos

What to write about??

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ
I have also thought about ultimately making woodworking a career. What scares me is the thought that I may not enjoy it as much if the stress of having to rely on it to make the house payment becomes too overwhelming. I would love to do woodworking full time, but I don't want it to feel like a "job". Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Numero Dos

What to write about??

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ
Well you do not have to make woodworking a full time career if you don't enjoy it that way. You could to it part time, as a side business, and keep your job. After awhile you should get a feel which way you want to go, part or full time with woodworking.

As for me, I do worry about the mortgage since I do not have a large or steady income yet. But years of savings and preparation have allowed for that. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way to do it.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Numero Dos

What to write about??

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ
I was talking to Karl, of "Karl's Woodworking" in our local village and we were talking about getting out of a stressful job and into something less stressful - i.e. woodworking
And he said, "Hah.. that's what I thought when I started this business. But it's a business and it is stressful!!"
Maybe you need to have a partner who enjoys all the business end of things, leaving you to just do the woodworking. Win/win/win. (third "win" is the customer)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Numero Dos

What to write about??

Thank you and good day…

Signing Off-
BenZ
That's kind of what I had in mind, Bill. I'd like to try it as a part time occupation, but my current job won't work with that schedule. I think I'd have to find a 20 hour a week type of job to supplement the woodworking income. All I know is I'd rather be in my shop that at my desk, and that feeling will eventually convince me to take the plunge.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.