LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Well, I know this thread will get tanked soon…but here goes:
I'd be interested in knowing how this [Block] button is getting used, and why. Mostly, I'm curious as to whether it has produced the results desired, or whether it has fomented even more hard feelings among each other than before.
So… herewith, if you have a personal experience with the 'Block' button that you'd like to share, I'd appreciate the insight! And Im sure, so would many others. I'm asking ONLY from an academic standpoint. Please do not post here and vent your spleen, this is not my intention at all. I'm just curious as to who…and why. You need not disclose usernames, but the actual circumstances for the block would be illuminating!

Let's hear it, LJs!!

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jim!
I forgot to say, I'd be interested either way, whether you have blocked somebody, and why, OR discovered you WERE blocked by another user, and why, if known.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I forgot all about it. I really think it would be only used a few times initially, and only between the greatest of enemies. Or would it…. I wonder if it has been used at all…. keep your friends close but your enemies closer….hmm interesting indeed.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
poroskywood,
yeah, I was reading a rather interesting thread the other day, authored by someone I was unfamiliar with. When I got to the bottom, I saw where I was unable to comment on the thread due to my being blocked!

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Greetings Poopie,
I haven't used it either. As far as I know I haven't been blocked by anyone and I haven't blocked anyone.
Why would they want to block me?....... I'm loved by all…...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It would have to be an extreme reason for me to even consider a need for the block button. I would hope that if I unintentionally offended someone they would at least give me a chance to explain myself before being blocked. Although I could see its use for someone that is known to be a spammer that won't quit. I have never been offended by any of your posts Poopiekat . I wonder if someone just had to see how it works and used you as the guinea pig for their curiosity. By the way, where is the block button? Seems to me someone has to go out of their way to use it. Not that I care where it is. I'm all for reasonable debate, and when to agree that we disagree and let it be.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
As I stated in the other thread, I've been blocked by one LJ as far as I can tell (and this after he shot off his mouth at me). This particular LJ, though, doesn't start many threads - 3 or 4 by my count, plus his projects, so the effect is negligible. I haven't blocked anybody, and I'm not going to.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, everyone!
Gregn: go to anyone's homepage here, under their icon. Once in their homepage, the [block] button is to the left of their icon. As I understand it, it's permanent. Mostly, the insidious thought that someone might be flaming me in a thread I've been blocked from is what concerns me most. But I did observe that the concept of a [block] button would appeal to the chicken-hearted, who would welcome the opportunity of a one-sided argument most of all. however, I'm glad to see the responses here, where most people have utterly no need for such a feature.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JJohnston: I suspect that we've been blocked by the same individual….though I don't recall any personal run-in with him…..

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Participating in LJ's is an extension of my hobby. If it gets to the point where the 'block' button is used, maybe I shouldn't be here.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have a better button, and have had it for a long time…..The Ignore Button. If I get a childish PM or what ever, my Ignore button works great. I have always thought that the person with the greater intelligence and maturity should take steps to just ignore the less intelligent and less mature.
I joined this site for the knowledge I could gather in order to become a better woodworker, not to be involved in piss fights. No one wins and everyone involved just gets to smell like the piss.
I also joined LJ in hopes I would make a few new friends to treasure in the future. Both reasons are being fulfilled.
I know this is not a place to start a religious dialog, but the Bible says it best, "Out of the hearts abundance, the mouth speaks." I doesn't take long to know from where the heart has been dwelling and what kind of person is at the other end.
When I find a person in want of heart, I just move on and ignore the petty little argument.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.