LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
There are any number of dyes out there… I've even heard plain old fashioned RIT dye for clothing works well on wood. Of course, if she really wants pure black, Ive use brush-on enamel with good results.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Minwax has ebony stain and wenge stain. Your local paint store could tell you also or may even be able to mix you some black stain. I know my local supplier mixes custom stains for you.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have quart of black water based dye I can bring Thursday night if you want to try it… I used it on poplar… but I didn't get solid black… grain did show. Recall my yellow shaker table? Well, I have yellow and red and blue if she would like a little color…!

·
Registered
413 Posts
transtint black dye, seal with a coat of shellac, a coat of black transtint color tinted lacquer, and a couple of coats of clear lacquer polished and buffed will yield a look similar to Asian black lacquered furniture.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When I do black, I don't use stain!, I use a dye of some sort, alcohol based usually, but the india ink thing is worth a try. Whatever you use finish up with a quality wipe on poly and rub out the last coat.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello Jack,

I'm also a huge fan of using India ink and if you're looking for a DEEP BLACK.............you can't go wrong.
I gave up using dyes a long time ago; they just didn't go black, fast enough for me.

The base of the clock below is made from red oak and was dyed with India ink.
It took two coats of India ink and you couldn't get it any blacker if you tried.

All the best
Gord

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.