LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good day, I want to make my first cutting board. What is a good hard wood for the base wood? Do I need to use hard wood? What If I do some inlays, hard wood needed here also? Any woos suggestions would help.
Thanks for your help
Jeffrey

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
The FDA says to use close grained hardwood such as maple. Walnut (as long as the end user isn't concerned about walnut allergy) and cherry are 2 other great options. Here is a list of various woods and their respective allergy potentials.

However, IMO one is extremely unlikely to develop or experience a wood allergy due to cutting board use. YMMV

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would never use pine. I only use maple, walnut, cherry, and hickory. With these colors, I can make my end grain boards like Navajo or Persian rugs, checkerboards, etc. With end grain boards, the design is limited only by your imagination.

I have used scraps as thin as 1/4 inch and as much as 2 inches thick and 4 inches wide. I save virtually everything and have figured out ways to use just about any size cut-off.

Once you have figured out how to make designs, refine your work by paying attention to the grain patterns which develop in the way you glue, roll, and flip end-for-end during the process.

Don't waste your time on face grain boards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.