LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Jocks,

Here is another question from our of our site users. His name is Dick.

"I need to saw out the floor plate in a cold air return.

Normally, the entire space is cut out for the cold air to flow. However, my contractor only drilled a series of holes and now I need to saw out the wood between the holes. The drywall is installed on both sides so I must reach through the cold ir register.

What type of saw would you suggest?

I was thinking a keyhole saw. Is there a power or air saw that is small enough to get within the 3.5 inch wall and cut out the wood?"

Thanks for your help. :)

Adam

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
You may have to go the old fashion way, by using a hammer, & chisel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got some more info from Dick. He also sent some images.

"Attached is a picture of what the plate looks like. I held the camera in the wall cold air return looking down between the wall studs. The space that I have to work in is the 3.5 inches by the 13 inches between the studs. There is not enough space to get a sawsall inside the wall to saw between the holes. Also the ceiling below has drywall so I cannot saw from below. I have also attached a picture of the hole in the wall for the vent.

I appreciate the suggestions. In order to saw the plate, the saw would have to fit between the walls and reach down to the plan which is about 10-12 inches below the opening for the vent"

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I don't suppose there's enough room to get a small drill in there and drill a series of holes?
You could use a small powered screw driver wth a drill bit on it maybe.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Good thinking Dennis!!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I agree, leave it. I'm sure you will get reasonable air-flow through the large holes he's drilled. I very much doubt that he expected anyone to enlarge the opening after the drywall was installed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the final word from Dick on your feedback.

"I wanted to let you know that Frank Chaffee's (from familywoodworking.net) suggestion is probably going to work. He suggested a Fein MultiMaster. I tried one over the weekend and it seems to do the job,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Dick"

Thanks for all your help guys.

Adam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.