LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Now that I am having to replace some tools that were stolen i am wanting advice on the best router to use with a table? I realize there are a lot out there and some cheap and some not so cheap. I would like your opinion no matter the cost even if i couldn't afford it.

My general use would be for cabinet doors, making moulding and things of that nature. Want a set up that want take hours to set up and make changes when needed.

Thanks in advance

Tom

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree with the Incra setup but I have mine setup in my table saw. I have the PC 7518 for a router and the Incra Mast-R-Lift II with their Clean Sweep system. I love the setup it's extremely accurate and very repeatable. I recently added a Wixey DRO and that makes it even better.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I think you are on the right track looking for a router that is easy to setup. I like routers that have topside adjustments. Furthermore, the collet should extend above the table to make bit changes easy. I don't like to mess with bent wrenches, I just want to lock the collet and change the bit with one wrench.
The Freud FT1700 meets all of these requirements for me. I have been told they no longer manufacture them, but if you can find one they are great.
Triton routers have similar features.

·
Registered
28,289 Posts
I know they make power lift inserts now but when I bought mine it was manual and it is a Woodpecker Quick Lift and I love it. With one handle you can turn and lift the router up to change the bits and then place it right back down for cutting. I do not trust the readout so I made a drop indicator for accurate measuring the movement of the bit when making adjustments and I'd use it with any of the lifts.
You can use just about any router in it. I have a Milwaukee in mine! Check the body size before you buy the router.

Jim

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Tom,
I'm with Earl above. I use a shop made router cabinet with an Incra fence and a bosch 1 3/4 hp router, mounted in an Incra PRL-V2 lift. The precision is unmatched, and the convenience is great. I've tried several router table set-ups and find this one to be best of class. Whether mounted to the table saw or in a separate cabinet or table, these components make routing a pleasure. The Incra magnetic metal throat plates are a charm to use.

Truth is, you can do wonderful work with a piece of plywood and a clamp mounted fence. But it's not as convenient, or quick, or as much fun. I've become a die-hard Incra fan.

Of course, if you want to do big, heavy work, a shaper is the tool of choice.
Roger

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I agree with the Incra setup but I have mine setup in my table saw. I have the PC 7518 for a router and the Incra Mast-R-Lift II with their Clean Sweep system. I love the setup it s extremely accurate and very repeatable. I recently added a Wixey DRO and that makes it even better.

- retfr8flyr
I just bought that exact same setup because of looking at yours but, I have a Milwaukee 5625 router and I'm in the process of attaching it to my 1023.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree with the Incra setup but I have mine setup in my table saw. I have the PC 7518 for a router and the Incra Mast-R-Lift II with their Clean Sweep system. I love the setup it s extremely accurate and very repeatable. I recently added a Wixey DRO and that makes it even better.

- retfr8flyr

I just bought that exact same setup because of looking at yours but, I have a Milwaukee 5625 router and I m in the process of attaching it to my 1023.

- UpstateNYdude
I think you will love it. The Incra fence on the saw is fantastic and I can't imagine going back to a regular style fence. I am very happy with this router setup, it's just like having a separate router table. Did you get the Clean Sweep setup also?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.