LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

This is my first post!!!! I am am pretty junior to furniture making but managed to finish a 3-in-1 crib for my son (which led to the purchase of a Sawstop table saw among other power tools!!!)

Now I am wanting to make an armoire 60"h x 45"w x 25"d and have this on a box stand (with drawers).

My plan is to edge glue 1×6 boards (flatsawn S4S hard maple) to make each of the 4 sides. I realize that I should align the grain properly for all 4 sides! But I wanted to know what type of joint I should use at the corners? I live in Canada so we have winters of -40 celsius and summers to +34 celsius so changing humidity is the norm.

Are biscuits acceptable for wood movement, or should I be looking at doing some other joint to accommodate for expansion? I looked at my Collins book and the Joint Book but neither gave any good advice….

thanks,

Jared

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
If I get your concept right you aren't going to need to worry about wood movement if you align the sides and top and bottom with the same grain orientation as it will all move in unison. Any number of joints could be used, rabbets, dovetails, box joints, splined miters, the list goes on. Biscuits would not be my choice.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I like dados for the fixed horizontal shelves. Rabbets for back panels work really well.

Biscuits work well to attach face frames to a plywood carcass.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
I think you're right on track using solid as opposed to plywood for this project. Solid wood makes much nicer furniture than plywood.

That being said I'd make the box using dovetails or box joint if you have the ability. Wood movement won't be and issue because the grain will run the same direction around the box posing no cross grain situations even on the top and bottom. Take a look at this picture an note the dovetails and grain direction.

Wood Shelf Floor Shelving Flooring

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you're building similar to the pic above (from AlaskaGuy)-then you should NOT glue the back together as a solid panel or you WILL have issues with wood movement (back will expand/contract across the width, but top and bottom won't).

You can use T&G or shiplap or plywood, but not glued-up solid wood

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
If you re building similar to the pic above (from AlaskaGuy)-then you should NOT glue the back together as a solid panel or you WILL have issues with wood movement (back will expand/contract across the width, but top and bottom won t).

You can use T&G or shiplap or plywood, but not glued-up solid wood

- jerryminer
+1

I used a 1/4'' piece of Plywood for the back. It sits against the wall and is full of drawers, you never see the plywood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.