LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been experiencing issues with my butcher blocked pieces, they either crack at the seams or the glue is slightly raised after sitting for a couple weeks/months. I allow the glued piece to dry for at least a week before working on it to make sure it's dried thoroughly. Not sure if it's the glue (using Titebond I), but wondering if someone can recommend the best glue for butcher blocking woods like walnut, birch and maple. It doesn't need to be a food-safe glue.

Here's an image of the cracks, each wood piece glued together is 3/4" wide:
Wood Flooring Floor Road surface Wood stain

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Alternative is titebond 2, which is also water resistant. I've used both for cutting boards and have never experienced a problem with the grain raising along the seams. Cracks like you show would seem to be using not enough glue, I keep a pile of sawdust nearby when gluing and as soon as I finish clamping will rub the sawdust into the glue that squeezes out and scrap with a plane blade. I like to see glue squeeze out of the seam on both sides, full length, so far no seam issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.