LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a lot of finish work but I've never tried to put baseboard on a curved wall. It is a large radius (22'4") and I want to put 4 1/4' baseboard on it along with all the straight walls. Since I want to stain the wood and finish it with multiple coats of oil wipe on poly I don't want to curf the back or anything like that. Oh it's a concave wall. I would prefer to use alder. could use stock fir. I will probably have a shop make it because I need 1000' and I don't want to spend a month making it. Before I start this project was hoping to find someone with some experience. Will I be able to bend say 5/8" x 4 1/4" around that radiues without it snapping?

· Registered
4,771 Posts
Yes, IMHO you will have no problem, especially if you pre-stress the piece. If you get it custom cut, you will want to specify the back relief cut common on commercial molding. This will further thin the piece lending more flexibility and allowing tighter fits.
DanK

· Registered
10 Posts
Make sure the wall surface goes to the floor....

"Usually" what happens on a typical factory molding is the bttm of it is stiffer than the profile'd top edge.... then,combine that with a gap where wall substrate is 1/2" or so short of hitting the floor.....

Just saying,watch out for twist as much as splintering/cracking. Good luck with your project.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts