LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
So, I am just over working off of saw horses. It makes planing and just about every other chore impossible. Now, I'm going to build my first workbench. I have a good idea of what I will build, but have a quick question.

Woodcraft offers a remade bench top. Does anyone have any experience with these? I just feel it would get me up and running faster.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Not familiar with the Woodcraft top, but Grizzly has some as well that may fit your needs.

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Which bench top are you looking at?

The big question is what are you going to do on your bench?

I do not use a lot of hand tools and my first and still using it was 2×6 covered with 3/4" plywood. If drilled holes in it that was OK. I think that I have replaced the top a couple of time

I welded square steel tubes for legs and it is solid.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
The Harbor Freight benches are much nicer for the price than I would have imagined. I don't own one but did check them out for a friend.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw those. I was always curious.

I want to build one, but the top is a concern right now, due to the fear of twisting. So, that is why I am looking at the remade tops from woodcraft.

Has anyone used them?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jsuede: I don't think there is a Menard's near me. I will check though.

Robert: I think this is a great idea. This is my first bench though, so I will probably just go with a single layer this time to save money.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I just replaced a Grizzly top that is 30" x 72×1 3/4". I've used it for 19 years before it started to crack in several places where one of the vises was fixed. It looks all the world like the Woodcraft top, except the pieces within it are full length. I think it (the Woodcraft top) or any of the alternatives would serve you well. I bought mine for the same reason: to get to work more quickly. I did make my replacement, more or less same construction only I made it 3" thick.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, the top came. I opened part of the box, but haven't completely unwrapped (so no pics). From what I can tell, it is made from maple scraps (most 12-24" long) connected by lamination and finger joints. On the underside, the knots are filled with epoxy.

First Impression: Very solid. The top side looks great.

Next Steps: Build a base, skirt, and add vises.

Questions:
1. What kind of base would you build? How could you attach it?
2. What kind of wood would you use for the skirt? How would you attach it?

All - Thanks for the help and I promise to provide full pictures as I go through the process.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.