LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background

Hey folks. I decided I was going to get into the carpentry hobby. My background has been military, law enforcement, journeyman electrician and HVAC tech. This is new challenge so here we go.

I just bought a Ridgid TS3350 tablesaw, Ridgid DP 15501 drill press and a Ridgid R29301 router combo w/benchdog extention table. I already have a vast collection of hand tools so I think I'm through until my project calls for another. I'm goin to just play with scrap wood that I have laying around until I build a relationship with them.

My first project I am shooting to make a hope chest for my daughter. I'm thinking of something like a steamer trunk made of 1/2" vener and hardwood slats. The hardware I'll get from an online source. I'll stain it as opposed to canvas or tin sheathing and the inside I'll paper.

I'll start this project in mid May and will allow three weeks to complete it working just a couple of hours in the evening and all day Saturday.

Well see how it goes.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Background

Hey folks. I decided I was going to get into the carpentry hobby. My background has been military, law enforcement, journeyman electrician and HVAC tech. This is new challenge so here we go.

I just bought a Ridgid TS3350 tablesaw, Ridgid DP 15501 drill press and a Ridgid R29301 router combo w/benchdog extention table. I already have a vast collection of hand tools so I think I'm through until my project calls for another. I'm goin to just play with scrap wood that I have laying around until I build a relationship with them.

My first project I am shooting to make a hope chest for my daughter. I'm thinking of something like a steamer trunk made of 1/2" vener and hardwood slats. The hardware I'll get from an online source. I'll stain it as opposed to canvas or tin sheathing and the inside I'll paper.

I'll start this project in mid May and will allow three weeks to complete it working just a couple of hours in the evening and all day Saturday.

Well see how it goes.
Sounds like you have a good start there. Don't force yourself into a specific time window- let it be fun and take whatever time you need!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Background

Well see how it goes.
I think 1/2" veneer is a board!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Background

Well see how it goes.
Will I think he means hardwood veneered plywood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Community

I appreciate the replys to my blog and intro. It's a pleasure to hear from ya'll and take in your advice, which I will certainly use.

I'll be working on my LJ page here and plan to have my workshop uploaded this weekend. I am a former active duty Marine and now follow my wife who is still on active duty in the Army. That means that my shop has to stay lean and mobile since I move it every 3 years and right now it is located in our 12 by 20 garage here at Fort Stewart.

Time to hit the rack folks, good night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.