LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took the tilting arbor out and cleaned tightened and lubed everything
Replaced arbor bearings
Added machined steel pulleys and a LINK BELT
Sturdied up the base
Squared everything to the miter slot

With the PALS system I ordered, but haven't received yet, I spent about $70 on upgrades. Bought the saw for $120, so for $190 I have a saw that performs as well or better than much more expensive saws.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
if that saw is cutting that well now, what are the PALS needed for? and he did it with the fence that everyone maligns as a piece of junk. congrats on a job erl done.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Knot….yes it's the same blade. Diablo (Freud) 50T Combo blade. Bought it at home depot.

Toolie…Yeah, the PALS may actually be a little overkill. It is lined up pretty good just with a square and feeler gauge. But, my OCD tells me it is not perfect. LOL I can tell that there is a little error bacuase when I line the fence up to the blade with the fence right on the edge of the miter slot There is about a half millimeter difference across the 27" depth. That's only 20 thou. over 27" so I'm not sure how bad that really is.

I did use the factory fence, I've never had a fence that I didn't have to manually measure the distance to each side of the blade, but that takes me about 15 seconds.

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Wow! Big improvement! I can't believe a 50 tooth combo will cut that thick stock that clean with no burning. I would probably be using the 24 tooth Diablo with a zero clearance insert.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had that same saw for over 20 years. I did the same upgrades you did and also replaced the fence and rails. That was probably the most important upgrade.
I just replace it with a 3 HP Grizzly G0690. That was a vast improvement over the Craftsman.
I do believe that the Craftsman was actually made in the U.S. and it was a really good saw and it served me well.
I just couldn't cut thick stock without burning it. It just seemed under power for me.
Glad you are enjoying yours. It will last you for a very long time.

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
Nice improvement…. bearings, belt & pulleys….
With a little elbow grease and effort thrown in!!!

Looking forward to seeing the projects….

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.