LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
9,137 Posts
Design Phase is Complete

Well I finally have the complete design done. The total hardwood count is kind of low…so I am thinking ill revamp some things still…Maybe Ill go solid wood across the platform instead of using MDF in the middle…But other than that and the drawer webs, I think I have hardwood everywhere feasible..

Let me know what yall think
Looks like a great design.

I don't know that I'd go with MDF, I'd probably go with a nice looking plywood.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Design Phase is Complete

Well I finally have the complete design done. The total hardwood count is kind of low…so I am thinking ill revamp some things still…Maybe Ill go solid wood across the platform instead of using MDF in the middle…But other than that and the drawer webs, I think I have hardwood everywhere feasible..

I figured mdf under the mattress just because it was flat and wouldnt be seen.

I have a friend who can get me #1 common oak for 1.15 a board foot s2s…so I wasnt too worried about the amount of hardwood…I just have to find out what grade plywood he can get at the price he told me…

· Registered
19,714 Posts
Design Phase is Complete

Good design should be great.

· Registered
37 Posts
Design Phase is Complete

I love the design; it's not too far from the bedroom suite my wife and I bought and use today.

Our unit definitely uses plywood and chip board for under the mattress. Save the $$$.

Provide for lighting & electrical connections. Some lights under the bridge, or switches/dimmers for table lamps on top of the unit might add a dramatic flare to the piece that will enhance your craftsmanship.

Good luck!!!

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Design Phase is Complete

hehe…I think we have alot of the same design idea…I am going to put puck led lighting under the bridge, and I am using utility plywood in the bottom of the design, you can see the plan on the other pages of my blog…do you think I need to use regular plywood or is OSB strong enough for something like that? I have been watching Holmes on homes, and I notice in Canada they have something called strandboard which looks like OSB framing…2×4, 2×6…i would never have thought it was strong in that sense…

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Raw Material has arrived.

Well i got my delivery of wood tonite. YAY….its all surfaced 2 sides. But I am going to have to straightline most of it…which should be ok…its all 16 and 12 footers…most are more than 5" wide, a few are a nice 10 inches or so…I am short about 100 bd ft, but since I doubled what i needed, I should be ok…

· Registered
1,106 Posts

Well i got my delivery of wood tonite. YAY….its all surfaced 2 sides. But I am going to have to straightline most of it…which should be ok…its all 16 and 12 footers…most are more than 5" wide, a few are a nice 10 inches or so…I am short about 100 bd ft, but since I doubled what i needed, I should be ok…

What type of wood are you using? Maple, cherry??

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

its oak, I am going to have walnut panels in my doors…

· Registered
9,137 Posts

Looks like some great wood. Nice catch for the price.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

yep, i was really impressed with it…its supposed to be #1 common..but man oh man it looks like fas….

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Panels are together....

Well I have all my panels glued up. I did pretty well considering I only have 4 clamps. I was able to get them all relatively even and glued up using my clamps and Kreg Jig. I was going to try and take them somewhere locally to have them drum sanded down, but I spent yesterday with my 603 in my hand…sweat on my brow…and now flat boards ready for assembly.

Well really I have 4 more to do, but I have the panels for my crosspiece flattened, and the panels for my shelving and endboards flattened….everything is moving along nicely. I also started cutting the walnut for my raised panels as well as getting them glued up too. they also appreciated my 603 loving…

:)

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Spray Day

Well I got an HVLP sprayer from Harbor Freight. Kicking myself in the butt cause I havent gotten one sooner…several weeks of work, in several hours…sheesh…

anyway here are some pics for you…..

Right now I am spraying dewaxed shellac. I am trying to decide whether I will need to topcoat with poly or not…

· Registered
3,874 Posts
Spray Day

Well I got an HVLP sprayer from Harbor Freight. Kicking myself in the butt cause I havent gotten one sooner…several weeks of work, in several hours…sheesh…

Right now I am spraying dewaxed shellac. I am trying to decide whether I will need to topcoat with poly or not…
Hope you have that door locked, or disabled somehow, or some nice looking work could be in the driveway.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Spray Day

hehe..yea i was the only one home during the day…the only other person that has a remote is for the other door…heh

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Spraying is becoming better

I want to thank everyone who commented on my spraying conundrums the last couple weeks…

I am now adding 2 dixie cups of denatured alcohol to 1 quart (sprayer cup) of dewaxed shellac…it is going much better. I also realized that the sprayer shipped with the largest needle installed. I downgraded to the smallest and that seems to be going much better now too….

You cant see it in the picture, but the finish is super clean…I put on about 6 coats last night and you can still feel the grain and it doesnt look super shiny like before, i like this much better…I will be adding a coat or two of lacquer(i think I still havent decided yet) after its all together…

These panels are a bit lighter than the rest, but I think it has to do with my prep work on them…I sanded to 110, watered it down, sanded 110 again…sanded 220 watered it then sanded again…then I put the blo on with one of those cabinet roller polyfoam brushes instead of pouring it on and slopping it around…

We'll see how it goes..these are my nightstand panels. I still have to make one more I didnt cut enough wood for 4..bleh…

· Registered
703 Posts

I want to thank everyone who commented on my spraying conundrums the last couple weeks…

I am now adding 2 dixie cups of denatured alcohol to 1 quart (sprayer cup) of dewaxed shellac…it is going much better. I also realized that the sprayer shipped with the largest needle installed. I downgraded to the smallest and that seems to be going much better now too….

You cant see it in the picture, but the finish is super clean…I put on about 6 coats last night and you can still feel the grain and it doesnt look super shiny like before, i like this much better…I will be adding a coat or two of lacquer(i think I still havent decided yet) after its all together…

These panels are a bit lighter than the rest, but I think it has to do with my prep work on them…I sanded to 110, watered it down, sanded 110 again…sanded 220 watered it then sanded again…then I put the blo on with one of those cabinet roller polyfoam brushes instead of pouring it on and slopping it around…

We'll see how it goes..these are my nightstand panels. I still have to make one more I didnt cut enough wood for 4..bleh…
I'm glad you have your spraying technique dialed in. An old rule of thumb when spraying is "thin it until it sprays nice". Of course the thinning means more coats but less problems. Of course dealing with catylysts, hardners, epoxies, and urethanes is a different story. That's for another time.
Write down your mixing ratios for future use. Also your tip size and gun in case you get another. Sometimes it's hard to remember when you want to repeat the process on a future project…..at least that's my problem….I think…I don't remember.

· Registered
9,137 Posts

Great job. I've blown 2 1/2 Gallons fo shellac in the last week on toys. Glad you are getting more proficient.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Moving upstairs

Well I finally pulled the trigger. I noticed that I was falling into the rut that I do with my code, always waiting to release until its just right…well it never gets there, you have to pull the trigger not look back and fix the little things you miss as you move forward….

So anyway with the help of a friend I was able to get the tall cabinets upstairs. I have the back on one unit and it survived the move, my wife wanted me to get the other one moved up too while I had help; it didnt survive the move…I didnt have the back on yet and when we were muscling it upstairs the glue joint on the top panel failed and it came off. luckily the way we were moving it, no one was hurt and the unit didnt go anywhere. So I just have to reglue the top and assemble the back…on the twin to this. then I have to build the bridge.

Looking for an electrician now to move 3 outlets around.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
creeping along...howdoyado?

well things are progressing, this coldness has really slowed things down alot, both just because you cant do alot when its cold, and its messed with my motivation some…

anyway I have started on the drawerfronts for under the bed since I can get them inside for the glue and finish to cure as needed.

here are a couple pics…

dry fit

first coats of finish, dry fitting in the opening

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Home Stretch...I can see the finish line

Cabinetry Furniture Ceiling fan Building Wood

I am finally on the homestretch..things are coming together nicely now and my wife is VERY happy with me.. :) thats what really counts.

Now I only have to do:

Faceframes for the bridge
Drawers for inside the cabinets
Drawers for the bottom of the cabinets with drawer fronts
Top Decorative molding…

yay!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.