LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all. I have a "how-to" question about a pair of bed rails I'm making. I'm need to replace the metal rails on a 40 year old bed. I've found that one set of rail hardware sold by Rockler is an exact match for the existing hardware so I can use the hooks from the kit without having to replace the pins in the headboard and footboard. I've got the new rails made and now have to cut the 3/32" slot/mortise for the hooks to go into. If I can avoid it, I would prefer not to make a cut through the entire rail. The best idea I've come up with so far is to use a drill press and an extra-long bit to drill out the slot from the bottom side of the rail. It's not the most elegant solution, but it seems like it might get the job done. I'm wondering if anyone has any other creative solutions to making a 3.5" wide, 1.25" in deep, 3/32" mortise.

Dan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.