LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys,

I've designed a bed that I will start building in a couple weeks as a gift to myself and my wife. See the photo attached of the SketchUp design i've made below. What I am most concerned about is what type of wood do I build with.

The plan is to paint the bed a Robin Egg Blue and then do some destressing of the paint to give it a rustic look. The other thing i'm trying to keep in mind is that we have a dog that likes to be on the bed. Our previous bed got kind hammered by his nails, and my wife doesn't want a foot board that is taller than the mattress.

I've thought of just doing poplar since it's fairly inexpensive and is really easy to work with. Cedar I feel is too soft. Oak is a type of grain that I don't want want to show through the paint. Also, thoughts on the best option for 4×4 posts. Opinions please!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Slope
!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,690 Posts
Most stuff that I built to be painted involves poplar and or MDO plywood. Some like to use soft maple. It's cheaper than hard, paints well and is still really hard. For your posts, if you can get something full thickness I would do that otherwise glue it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.