LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plan, thoughts, I don't know.....

Well you all know me, well I'll pretend you do. LOL. I like to start things when I have to much to do. That way I always have something to do, and can complain that I don't have enough time for any of it. LOL. This is the beginning to almost a joke. At work I had to rip some beech mouldings down for a customer and the fall off was very thin strips of material. They are around 1/32" thick x 1/4" ish. There was a ton of moulding to rip, so I have a ton of these strips. The first thought was to put them in the trash. But then I started messing around with them and told a co-worker I was going to make something out of them. I rolled them up and taped them for storage. Now I have started to do an artistic layout. That's the plan. I want to make a very small wall cabinet, probably for spices. The idea here isn't really the cabinet, but rather coming up with something out of the ordinary and artistic. The pics don't represent anything other then the idea and shows the strips of material. This could be interesting, and it could be a disaster. I guess time will tell.
As always I welcome constructive criticism, positive or negative.
Photobucket
Photobucket

·
Registered
7,426 Posts

Well you all know me, well I'll pretend you do. LOL. I like to start things when I have to much to do. That way I always have something to do, and can complain that I don't have enough time for any of it. LOL. This is the beginning to almost a joke. At work I had to rip some beech mouldings down for a customer and the fall off was very thin strips of material. They are around 1/32" thick x 1/4" ish. There was a ton of moulding to rip, so I have a ton of these strips. The first thought was to put them in the trash. But then I started messing around with them and told a co-worker I was going to make something out of them. I rolled them up and taped them for storage. Now I have started to do an artistic layout. That's the plan. I want to make a very small wall cabinet, probably for spices. The idea here isn't really the cabinet, but rather coming up with something out of the ordinary and artistic. The pics don't represent anything other then the idea and shows the strips of material. This could be interesting, and it could be a disaster. I guess time will tell.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I too have some thin stips… I was contemplating using them for a weave and making a panelled door…Just an Idea I have been kicking around for some time…
This not a clear shot but it you look up on the wall you will see a small weave… NGR cut to 1/16 inch thick..
Photobucket

·
Registered
13,760 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
very well done boys ,
looks like you got the jump on us ,
and you are both ,

P.H.D.'s in basket weaving !

i been to jail ,
but never to one of those
institutes .

·
Registered
14,490 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
I like this idea … may be interesting …looking forward to the finish object

with a dab of glue in each intersection it would be very strong

·
Registered
35,383 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
The making of some Shaker baskets or cane chairs.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
My exact thoughts Karson. Or they would look good glued to some 1/4" plywood and inserted into a door as a flat basketweave panel.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
Kept thinking about this, like I don't have enough to think about, thanks Keith!

Was thinking about pressing it into a sort of veneer. I don't know how you'd do it, but you being the consummate professional, probably could figure it out.
I've heard of craftsmen gluing multiple layers of veneer at a time somehow and then being able to separate them when dry.
You'd need lots of pressure to press them together so that it virtually flattens out. You could vary the weave pattern to preference. I think if you got as tight a weave as you could then pressed sheets of it then you could cut as needed.
It'd be really strong.

Just an idea, good luck with that.

·
Premium Member
25,690 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
You've got them out just in time to make Easter baskets.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
Looks like a neat Idea.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WHAT!

First a mouse chews it's way into this blog and now this. What's going on here!
Photobucket
Photobucket
yes, yes I know I need to take it just a little deaper to flush it out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.