LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amazing what a bit of paint can do…

Wood Wall Gas Brickwork Tool

Amazing what a bit of paint can do… not only does it make the place look tidier, but can also brighten the place up.

Though painting the bricks (and there is a bit more to do yet) did chew threw the paint but once it is on the repainting later on will be a lot easier. See nice and bright, makes the place happy… though kinda reminds me of the flat we use to live in before we bought this place … hmmm thats a bad thing.

The bricks are support bricks for the upstairs coal range, which is on a ***********************************… heats our water, keeps us warm, boils the jug for coffee, and cooks food… all for a bucket of dirty coal…. lol

Tool Wood Luggage and bags Gas Bag

Before I know it, I will have painted the whole basement white and still have no floor… or interntal cladding for that matter… but it will be shiney.

Wood Luggage and bags Gas Tool Shelving
why why why do we work on a project (any project) and for every 5 minutes working we NEED an hour of cleaning to clear away the 5 minute mess we created?

I have all the tools,, broom , vacume, dust pans, trash cans, and they all seem to get more of a workout than my tools for making sawdust!

The shop is neat and tidy one minute and then in just a flash it is a mess.

But I LOVE my mess!

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Concrete floor.

I haven't had the chance to do any wood working for a while nor even had time to post or check online for a bit. However I have a good reason, I am finally going to get part of the basement with a level concrete floor. I have dug and leveled, with some brick back fill. Have the polythine down and actually ready to pour this coming Saturday. My partners father who so happens to do this kind of stuff for a living is also helping, well is doing most of of it to tell the honest truth. I said it will be an easy pour but just timely due to its location from the truck… we can even get a pup to it…

The section we are doing first is the main part, and it is pretty hard to explain unless you know the layout of the land, but the the other end will be a lot harder as the last ower's of the house must have just poured concrete in spits and spats when the had a spare dollar or two, so a lot of it needs to be dug out and reworked.

I will still have to work around the house piles but having a level floor here is going to be like bliss compared to what I am use to. To the left is the next section I will work on once the part is done, but that will be a step so I don't need to put in a retaining wall further back as it slopes up the hill under the house, and t is working with the lay out of the land instead of trying to fight it… this is als the part that we have to pecarefule of as because when it rains the water drains down through this.

Digging out the floor

Ready to pour

Wheel barrow ramps

Nighthawk's workshop

Once I get even this section of the floor done I can clad part of the walls and start to get the place sorted… I want it done like yesterday but considering what wlse we have done about the place and we have only owned the place for 18months now we aren't doing to bad. Not only that we have no budget and have been broke since the day we bought the place… lol

The Pour
Framining

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Concrete floor.

I haven't had the chance to do any wood working for a while nor even had time to post or check online for a bit. However I have a good reason, I am finally going to get part of the basement with a level concrete floor. I have dug and leveled, with some brick back fill. Have the polythine down and actually ready to pour this coming Saturday. My partners father who so happens to do this kind of stuff for a living is also helping, well is doing most of of it to tell the honest truth. I said it will be an easy pour but just timely due to its location from the truck… we can even get a pup to it…

The section we are doing first is the main part, and it is pretty hard to explain unless you know the layout of the land, but the the other end will be a lot harder as the last ower's of the house must have just poured concrete in spits and spats when the had a spare dollar or two, so a lot of it needs to be dug out and reworked.

I will still have to work around the house piles but having a level floor here is going to be like bliss compared to what I am use to. To the left is the next section I will work on once the part is done, but that will be a step so I don't need to put in a retaining wall further back as it slopes up the hill under the house, and t is working with the lay out of the land instead of trying to fight it… this is als the part that we have to pecarefule of as because when it rains the water drains down through this.

Digging out the floor

Ready to pour

Wheel barrow ramps

Nighthawk's workshop

Once I get even this section of the floor done I can clad part of the walls and start to get the place sorted… I want it done like yesterday but considering what wlse we have done about the place and we have only owned the place for 18months now we aren't doing to bad. Not only that we have no budget and have been broke since the day we bought the place… lol

The Pour
Framining
You're getting there, the weekend is approaching, keep us posted

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Concrete floor.

Digging out the floor

Ready to pour

Wheel barrow ramps

Nighthawk's workshop

The Pour
Framining
The pour

Framing part 1

Overall it is slowly coming along… but even though I now technically have a bit more room I seem to have less… hmmm

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The pour

Well finally after 18 months after we moved into our home I now have part of the basement with a concrete and more importantly flat floor… I am not sure what I am going to do now as I won't be use to it.

The truck arrived 15 minutes early… which caught us off guard as my helpers were still on the way… but the irony was when I joking to the driver he said "the other job they had for that morning, they were late… lol"

The pour went smoothly though it was a bit of hard work as we had to barrow around the house and down paths etc etc… however the driver was inpressed how quickly we did it. Especially when he came down after and had a quick look. He was impressed.

http://www.southernrider.co.nz/projects/basementfloor.php

We also put in a bit of concrete and back fill around the lower deck. But we will pour that another day (about three weeks time…
http://www.southernrider.co.nz/projects/lower_deck.php

All I can say now is hurry up and cure so I can use it… lol

·
Premium Member
33,512 Posts
The pour

Well finally after 18 months after we moved into our home I now have part of the basement with a concrete and more importantly flat floor… I am not sure what I am going to do now as I won't be use to it.

The truck arrived 15 minutes early… which caught us off guard as my helpers were still on the way… but the irony was when I joking to the driver he said "the other job they had for that morning, they were late… lol"

The pour went smoothly though it was a bit of hard work as we had to barrow around the house and down paths etc etc… however the driver was inpressed how quickly we did it. Especially when he came down after and had a quick look. He was impressed.

We also put in a bit of concrete and back fill around the lower deck. But we will pour that another day (about three weeks time…

Been there done that! 6 years contruction work as a concrete guy. Even had to barrow a basement one year, truck pulled up to the garage door, slung the chute over to the open stairwell ( no drywall at the time) and into a "fleet" of barrows, three being a fleet, right? Full basement floor,had to hold off on the last few yards of mud, while we bucket-brigaded all the water up out of there. Next day, it was still steamy down there, almost a fog.

IF you used "High early" next day walk around on it. Most floors take at least 7-14 days to almost fully cure. One can drive on the stuff after 14 days.

How thick was the pour? Are you cutting in control joints? Expansion around the edges? Inside pours are the best kind, I didn't have to worry about ….rain, or snow meesing things up.

·
Registered
19,675 Posts
The pour

As a long a term contractor I have been on lots of concrete pours and it sure makes a big difference to have a good concrete truck driver . I've never liked finishing concrete inside a enclosed area but folks that do concrete all the time can do it very quickly. Good luck on the rest of the process,your getting close now.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
The pour

Wow! It's a lil late now, but, it woulda been good to put a plug for your table saw in the floor if you knew where it was gonna live. A friend o mine did that in his garage/shop years ago when first built. Good luck with the rest of the build. It's always nice to see stuff come together.

·
In Loving Memory
977 Posts
The pour

The last time i did a concrete basement floor, I mixed all the concrete by hand and did it in strips. I was younger then and had more energy but it suited the budget at the time and gave me a chance to think about logistics and efficiency and ensuring I got the preparation just right - cause I sure wasn't going to do it again!

Congrats on the pour. Keep it wet and covered and you'll have a floor for life…

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The pour

Depth 100mm or 4inches and has room for expansion around the edges.

Yes kept wet and all that… and is fine so far…

Had thought about power socket, but have other plans…

Ummm I think that was all… lol

But it is exciting cause now I can start to really plan and do things. I am starting to frame the inside which is tricky as I am trying to keep as much space as I can… but the piles are well house piles and lets say it makes it interesting :) but I have a plan and it should work…

Framing with all recycled wood that I have scrounged and will go get some H3 Ply to clad… :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Before and after shots

Just for those that are interested… (not that there will be many) a few before and after shots…

Still have a long way to go… and probably another three or for pours of concrete before the floor is complete… however… slightly higer res photos here

Wood Art Rectangle Building Paint

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Machine Room

Building Table Wood Flooring House

Wheel Tire Building Wood Automotive tire

Wood Gas Building Hardwood Engineering

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
977 Posts
Before and after shots

Just for those that are interested… (not that there will be many) a few before and after shots…

Still have a long way to go… and probably another three or for pours of concrete before the floor is complete… however… slightly higer res photos here

Awesome transformation. Even the wood posts look better :)
It's probably great to be able to place any tool anywhere now and not having to worry about it rusting or tipping or sitting evel. You've expanded the shop tenfold! Well worth it!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Before and after shots

It's really looking good. Congratulations.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Before and after shots

looks good. my basement workshop from long ago did not have a door to the outside or a window. i like the router table.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Before and after shots

wow, that a difference!

I keep saying that adding white walls is HUGE!

nice setup

Attachments

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
Before and after shots

Lookin' GOOD!!!
I'm in the process of getting my shop in shape. Just painting goes a long way to improving the place. Obviously, a poured concrete floor is a MAJOR improvement. I had conrete floors but, in very rough shape, so I laid "DriCore" subfloor panels to smooth the floor out. Ain't nothing level, but machines roll nicely now!!!

Congrats on the upgrades, now go make some sawdust!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Before and after shots

The strange thing is I am techniquely using less space that I was before but with the floor and (some what organisation) I seem to have more room to do things than before simply because as said I can put things where I want on an even floor.

Long way to go yet this is only about a third of it… :-(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Before and after shots

Great improvement, looks wonderful

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.