LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
10,489 Posts
Another option I like is to use on inclusions and recesses like that is brass or copper powder with epoxy. You mix enough powder into the epoxy so that it is almost a putty consistency. This makes it so it works much like a standard wood putty so it won't drain or slump out and also will polish up like solid brass. I usually use a 30 minute epoxy because it takes some time to get it mixed up and put into the hole, though for a small hole you can usually get it done in less than 5 minutes. If you don't want to splurge for some brass powder, you can do the same thing with any dry material like coffee, sawdust, or even old eye shadow.

Here are a couple of examples. This one with couple of bark inclusions:

And here, I filled cracks in the first orb and used a mica dye on the 4th and 6th one.

· Premium Member
10,489 Posts
You can use just about any sort of finish to help shield the CA from discoloring the surrounding wood. I've used paste wax, beeswax, even a very light coat of wiping poly. You can use a very light coat of just about anything but shellac is nice because it sands away so easily. Experiment on some scraps and see which one works. The best one to use is probably whatever you plan to use for your final finish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.