LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I need a chisel (or maybe a set) that are triangular in cross section so I can clean up the tight spaces in dovetails. I'd also like opinions on a dovetail saw. I won't be going Japanese.

I'm looking for usable tools that are a good bang for the buck. No garbage, but I don't need top-of-the-line either.

Opinions pls!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
On your Marples chisels, slow/wet grind the first inch or more of the square sides so that they are sloped/angled and leave the side edge about .030" or so thick, not sharp. A good angle is about the same as your chisel's working end. This allows the chisel to get into the tight dovetails without the side of the chisel damaging the wood. Be very careful when grinding not to over heat the metal, you want to save the temper.

·
Registered
145 Posts
harville tool has a nice gents saw on sale for $11 right now. i have tried the veritas and it is a nice tool. just got a 1900 disston dovetail from ebay that is nice too.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I prefer the western saws to the japanese pull saws so I bought an old 1917 disston backsaw from an antique dealer for cheap, then bought the tiny files necessary for refiling the teeth and made an old saw cut like a finely tuned machine. I really like cutting dovetails by hand now and try to incorporate them into my work as much as possible now that the possibilities aren't limited to a jig.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.