LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought a Delta 28-203 bandsaw this weekend with an enclosed base. The bandsaw has a 3/4HP 1725 RPM motor. I'd like to upgrade to a 1 or 1.5 HP motor; what is involved? Can I just replace the motor and put the pulley from the old motor on the new one? Any recommended motors?
Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
The actual physical size of a larger motor will be a concern as is the mounting style. The motor size, expressed as frame size, between a 3/4 HP and a 1.5 HP is quite substantial. As Jim said, just get a bigger saw.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not 100% sure of the dimensions, but this saw has an enclosed base and looks identical to the 475x model sold today with the 1.5HP motor. It is not like the 276 model with open stand sold in the box stores. I thought I saw an old Tools on Sale catalog once that showed this bandsaw and you could actually specify which size motor you wanted in it. I guess I'm looking for help from someone that knows the Delta bandsaw lineage a little better.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I swapped out the stock 3/4 hp motor on my rigid bs for a 1 1/2 hp one. As long as you are getting a tefc motor with the same mount it will be fine. The motors aren't any different in size. At least not enough to matter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.