LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I've seen bandsaw boxes that are incredibly well done, I've seen bandsaw boxes that are very poorly done and I've seen just about every in between. There is a tremendous variation in the quality. If you have the skill to consistently produce high quality bandsaw boxes I believe this is one product that you can make some money on (i.e. cover the cost of your material and make a handsome amount for your labor). If your skills are only average, don't bother.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just wondering about the price of a basic bandsaw box. I would not even think about selling a box that I would not want to keep for myself. I won't even give it away if it not something I am Proud of. A reputation is hard to build, it is harder to improve a reputation than it is to lose one.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
woodkiller asked: "I was just wondering about the price of a basic bandsaw box."

Without criteria there is no answer.

I don't think you are going to find a definitive guide to bandsaw box pricing.
There are too many factors to even come up with a range of prices.

If you are a hobbyist and are not concerned about profit or your time, then the price can be set as low as you want.

If you are a professional trying to make a profit then you might find your price point needs to recover material costs plus $50 per hour or more for your efforts.

The last juried craft show that I attended had a sellers fee of $400 and customers were charged $9 just to get in. I didn't see any $5 boxes for sale but $100 boxes were selling.

The last hobby craft show that I visited that had a $20 sellers fee and free admission to the public had several box makers with none that I would but at any price.

Answer on pricing - it depends. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I was at a local craft fair (small town, rural kind of thing) and there were several in the $20-50 range. They were mostly simple designs (things seen in many books) They were fairly common materials (oak, pine, maple) not at all "artistic". I looked at them and thought "I made a more interesting box and gave my 3-year-old", but other people bought them.
I think price really depends on the market you are in and they exact type of box.
as for the market - Who is going to buy the box and are they going to be at the show you are at. The $100 boxes at Randy's show would not have sold at this one, and the ones I saw wouldn't have sold at his. If you are at the wrong show the price won't matter. (I really wanted to spend $30 at the craft fair I was at, but wouldn't do it on the boxes I saw)
as for the type - cool, artsy boxes (the kind that make you saw wow) cost more then plain functional boxes. People pay for things they want to show off.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
MrsN is exactly correct.

It would definitely help to have a reference as to what kind of bandsaw box - since they vary so much.

Also if it helps any the formula I have used for my crafts for ages is such ((cost of materials consumed)+(cost of tool wear/tear/etc, including things like sandpaper, paint, laquer, etc)) X 2+(price I want to make per hour) X (number of hours I put into it)=$retail price

For some things the cost of my raw materials is so tiny it doesn't matter - say, if I found a chunk of wood on the side of the road and used it (which I've done). Other times, it matters a whole lot - I've done watercolour paintings with raw lapis lazuli which costs $$$$. Or if I bought a several hundred dollar slab of fine wood to start with - that has to factor into it.

So the ultimate question is - with your quality of workmanship and needs, how much per hour should you get?

Then, it's a matter of determining what market to sell it in.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i've made over 500 bandsaw boxes so far and i can tell you one thing. making money at it is next to impossible. i've sold them for as much as $350 but most are in the $75 to $175 range. unlike regular box making, you can't really make them in mass quantity. each one seems to need alot of individual attention to get it to a high quality. alot of my boxes were driven by the wood rather than a particular design. my designs of my boxes have varied widely. there is one guy at etsy.com that i really like his designs. his name is jim jenkins i think. check out his prices and boxes. maybe that will help you some.

russv

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Honestly, your site is not in english. I don't buy from sites I have to translate. I also have issues if I have to convert prices back in to dollars to figure out how much it is. If I want a pretty bowl, there is a guy I know two towns over. I don't know if things like that bother people from other areas of the world.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.