LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been looking for a bandsaw to buy and one recently came up for sale nearby it is a Grizzly G1148 15" Bandsaw. What I know: it looks ok, it sounds and cuts fine, it was originally purchased in 1996 with an upgraded 1 HP motor, he is selling it with 4 extra blades, it has the original fence but is missing the miter. He is asking $250. Is this worth it?

Duane

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
That saw shipped with a 1HP motor, so it's not really an upgrade.. if it's in good shape, I'd say $250 is a very reasonable price. Plus, you get an extra inch or so in resaw capacity over a standard 14" model. As for the miter guage, IMHO, those are useless on a bandsaw anyway.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
The resaw height is 7 1/2 inches. Isn't that the same as the 14"? I'm not sure, just asking.

Any way, since it is a fabricated steel frame saw there is no way to increase the resaw height so 7 1/2" is what you get.

At $250 I'd still say it's a deal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd offer $175 at the most. I bought a G1148 for $100 and sold it a year later. Some of the parts are still available from Grizzly but some are not and you will have a hard time finding things like tires if you ever need to replace them. Also, the blades are 103" if I remember correctly and I always had to order them. It was a decent band saw overall but it sold for about $350 back in 96… Its almost 20 years old, I think you could get it for less than $250.

Stewart

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I took into account what you guys advised and offered $175. I don't currently resaw but would like to in the future, I'd also like to cut more that 7.5" for my turning blanks. I figure for that price I can use it for awhile and buy up later.
Duane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.