LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think you need to determine what you'll most likely be doing with the Griz as "general purpose"... If you are going to do any "shaping" you may wish to consider a good 1/4" blade with more teeth (perhaps around 6 tpi)... I also use a 3/16 3 tpi.
At least consider having one to compliment a wider blade so you have it available.
I do a lot of band saw boxes, so I really need the narrower blade.

Consider yourself lucky to have 2 saws!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A Carter Band Saw Stabalizer is a favorite of mine when doing scroll work.
I agree with wncguy, it is nice to have two bandsaws. One set up for re saw work using a 3tpi blade in 3/4" and a second BS with a stabalizer and a 1/4" blade.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
"General bandsaw use" can vary greatly in definition from one person to another. Are you planning on doing much tight radius work, do you need a smooth surface finish? A 1/4" to 1/2" blade will fit the bill for most, the tooth count will vary depending on what you'll be cutting. Woodslicer makes great blades in the size you'll likely be looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your input. I have a Carter stabilizer that has been knocking around in a drawer for many years. I've tried setting up the Griz with the stabilizer and a 1/4" blade but I'm having trouble getting the stabilizer to align up properly. I'll keep working on it.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unless I ordered it wrong ten years ago it's the correct one. I bought it new a few years after I bought the saw. I get it close but when I tighten down the final thumb screw the bearing tilts jut a bit and the groove and the blade don't align by 1/128th. It's an octagon hole and bar where the saw and the stabilizer connect. The thumb screw locks them together.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Unless I ordered it wrong ten years ago it s the correct one. I bought it new a few years after I bought the saw. I get it close but when I tighten down the final thumb screw the bearing tilts jut a bit and the groove and the blade don t align by 1/128th. It s an octagon hole and bar where the saw and the stabilizer connect. The thumb screw locks them together.

- newwoodbutcher
Carter has some great videos on how to set blade tension and install the stabalizer, if you have not seen them.

And did I tell you how jealous I am? The build and rip capacity really make this BS a very capable machine and reasonably priced. Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brad, Yes I've watched their videos and started a conversation with their tec support. Not sure where it's going but in the end I'm sure I will have a great setup. Yes, I am lucky to have two band saws, also a great wife and a great hobby.
With all this input, I'm wondering if I want the stabilizer set up at all. I also have a Hegner scroll saw for scrolling. So I'm thinking a 1/2"and 3/8" set of blades would be the best bet for general purpose curve work. If that's true the stabilizer won't work as they recommend a 1/4" max on that set up. The guides on the old Grizzly are pretty minimal. I Know! This justifies a Carter Guide up grade. So that means this conversation might cost $200.00. Thank you for all your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.