LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bought this plane a few years ago, took it apart and that's as far as I got, till now. In the process of getting things together to build my first real bench and started looking and reading about hand tools. I remembered I had this one put back and started cleaning it up and have a couple of questions. The iron has a curve in it at the upper end, pretty sure it isn't supposed to. Can it be cleaned up and straightened or should I look at buying a new one? Also the chip breaker has a good amount of rust. Would it be ok to just clean the rust off or does it seem to be too bad?
Thanks for any help. For some reason I can't get the whole pic of the iron uploaded here. Seems it compresses it or something. Look at the second pic and it seems straight till it gets just past what the pic shows and the tail end is off table about a 32" of an inch.

·
Registered
20,611 Posts
You can just put it in a vise and use your hands to push it slightly past straight. It will spring back a small amount. It should straighten very easy, they are not hard. Just go a little at a time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.