LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction

I have embarked on a pretty important project and I guess it was worthy of blogging about. I'm not sure how many people will read this, but I'll have it for myself to appreciate I guess. For the past five years i have been a high school teacher and track coach. This year i have returned to Graduate school to earn my masters degree in school administration. Since I have been back in college I have had a lot of time in the shop and it has been really enjoyable. The down side is that i have really misse teaching. Recently I was approached by a former student of mine that is now a senior in high school. Immanuel wanted to know if I would be his mentor on a woodworking project. How could I say no?

Immanuel had to complete a research project before he began and he chose to research Shaker furniture. I gave him some ideas and he really took off with it. He can already point out the characteristics and knows a little about basic finishing from his reading. Today I showed him around the shop and we sat down to plan the piece he will build. Immanuel decided that he really wanted to build a shaker aromire. I actually tried to talk him out of it by telling him that this would be far more than the 15 hours that was required of him, but he insisted. We drew up some plans and I showed him the difference in rails and styles and flat pannels versus raised ones so that he could make some decisions on what he wanted. We even found a pre-made Sketchup model that was really close to our design. What he went with was a cabinet with three lower drawers, all flush, and two flat pannel doors. We ordered our hardware from Lee Valley today as well. We decided to build the cabinet from pine, mainly becasue it is cheap and I have quite a bit that from a tree I had sawed a couple of years ago. I'm really lloking forward to teaching again, and hopefully Immanuel will enjoy the process as well.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Introduction

I have embarked on a pretty important project and I guess it was worthy of blogging about. I'm not sure how many people will read this, but I'll have it for myself to appreciate I guess. For the past five years i have been a high school teacher and track coach. This year i have returned to Graduate school to earn my masters degree in school administration. Since I have been back in college I have had a lot of time in the shop and it has been really enjoyable. The down side is that i have really misse teaching. Recently I was approached by a former student of mine that is now a senior in high school. Immanuel wanted to know if I would be his mentor on a woodworking project. How could I say no?

Immanuel had to complete a research project before he began and he chose to research Shaker furniture. I gave him some ideas and he really took off with it. He can already point out the characteristics and knows a little about basic finishing from his reading. Today I showed him around the shop and we sat down to plan the piece he will build. Immanuel decided that he really wanted to build a shaker aromire. I actually tried to talk him out of it by telling him that this would be far more than the 15 hours that was required of him, but he insisted. We drew up some plans and I showed him the difference in rails and styles and flat pannels versus raised ones so that he could make some decisions on what he wanted. We even found a pre-made Sketchup model that was really close to our design. What he went with was a cabinet with three lower drawers, all flush, and two flat pannel doors. We ordered our hardware from Lee Valley today as well. We decided to build the cabinet from pine, mainly becasue it is cheap and I have quite a bit that from a tree I had sawed a couple of years ago. I'm really lloking forward to teaching again, and hopefully Immanuel will enjoy the process as well.
Some are born to teach and no matter which direction you decide to take, teaching will always be a part of you- and maybe the most satisfying part. You wouldn't be the first school administrator to find the classroom was more fulfilling.

Lew

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Introduction

I look forward to see how the both of you fair….

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Introduction

You will never be sorry for the time you spend teaching Immanuel and will probably acquire a life long friend, good going. Please do a series on this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Introduction

I'll definately be doing a series on this…hopefully wish pics next time. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Introduction

That is realy cool and I look forward to seeing the progress. It is a blessing when you make a differance in someone's life.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
18,356 Posts
Introduction

Patrick:
Thank you for being Immanuel's mentor and thanks for blogging your experience here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Preparing the sheet stock

Well, Immanuel and I finished planning out the project this week and went to Lowes to purchase sheet stock. He decided on a three drawer bottom with flat pannel doors at the top. It will be 6 1/2 ft tall, 16" deep and 36" wide. I also had time to teach him the difference in grades of plywood and solid wood. He will have a good chance to compare when we mill rough stock that I have at the shop. I thought it would be good for him to use both purchased lumber and rough milled lumber. When we got back to the shop we had a lesson in using the table saw safely and began laying out the sides in a sheet of 3/4 plywood. Immanuel enjoyed setting up the table saw and switching out to the dado blades. He is a really quick learner and pays a lot of attention to what he is doing. I also got to learn a little more about him as a person this week, and I must admit that I am really impressed. Anyway, here are a few pictures of him working on the sheet stock for the sides. Sorry about the condition of the shop, I've been in the middle of about 4 different projects lately and the shop is in desperate need of some TLC.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts

Well, Immanuel and I finished planning out the project this week and went to Lowes to purchase sheet stock. He decided on a three drawer bottom with flat pannel doors at the top. It will be 6 1/2 ft tall, 16" deep and 36" wide. I also had time to teach him the difference in grades of plywood and solid wood. He will have a good chance to compare when we mill rough stock that I have at the shop. I thought it would be good for him to use both purchased lumber and rough milled lumber. When we got back to the shop we had a lesson in using the table saw safely and began laying out the sides in a sheet of 3/4 plywood. Immanuel enjoyed setting up the table saw and switching out to the dado blades. He is a really quick learner and pays a lot of attention to what he is doing. I also got to learn a little more about him as a person this week, and I must admit that I am really impressed. Anyway, here are a few pictures of him working on the sheet stock for the sides. Sorry about the condition of the shop, I've been in the middle of about 4 different projects lately and the shop is in desperate need of some TLC.

Interesting project. I look forward to watching Immanuel's project progress.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing it's progress also.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

This is great, please keep up the good work.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

I think that what you are doing is simply wonderful. Teaching young people, such as Immanuel, a skill like this is something that will benefit them the rest of their lives. It sure beats sitting in front of a tv with a Wii!!!

This is going to be interesting to follow.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Planing Rough Lumber

The weather was beautiful this morning and we were expecting a lot of rain this afternoon. What better day to prep out some rough lumber? We spent about 3 and a half hours today choosing some rough cut pine from my stock and planing it out. Immanuel struggled with the jointer at first, but he was getting the hang of it by the end. He made me laugh when I brought out the planer because he told me that he thought we would be hand planing all of the lumber. Just for a few laughs I brought out my hand planes and let him work at it a bit….then I showed him how the planer worked. There was such a satisfying look on his face when the pretty yellow pine came out of the dirty, rough stock. I had made him write down the cost of an 8 ft, 3/4×12" pine board at Lowes ($28), then I had him calculate the lumber we just planed…wow was he surprised. It was a fun day, not too educational other than how a jointer works and why you should use it. I think the biggest sense of success came when we swept up all of the shavings!

Rough lumber Pile

Planing pine

Lots of Shavings!!!

Finished Boards

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Planing Rough Lumber

The weather was beautiful this morning and we were expecting a lot of rain this afternoon. What better day to prep out some rough lumber? We spent about 3 and a half hours today choosing some rough cut pine from my stock and planing it out. Immanuel struggled with the jointer at first, but he was getting the hang of it by the end. He made me laugh when I brought out the planer because he told me that he thought we would be hand planing all of the lumber. Just for a few laughs I brought out my hand planes and let him work at it a bit….then I showed him how the planer worked. There was such a satisfying look on his face when the pretty yellow pine came out of the dirty, rough stock. I had made him write down the cost of an 8 ft, 3/4×12" pine board at Lowes ($28), then I had him calculate the lumber we just planed…wow was he surprised. It was a fun day, not too educational other than how a jointer works and why you should use it. I think the biggest sense of success came when we swept up all of the shavings!

Rough lumber Pile

Planing pine

Lots of Shavings!!!

Finished Boards
A LumberJock in the making!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Planing Rough Lumber

Rough lumber Pile

Planing pine

Lots of Shavings!!!

Finished Boards
I just went back and read the first two parts to this series and now I'm looking forward to the next. That's great that you are helping him out and who knows, maybe you'll learn a few things yourself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spring Break...lots of work gets done!

Immanuel and I have been so busy over the past week that I forgot to post some of our progress. We did a glue up of the case, designed and built drawers, fit the vertical parts of the face frame then went back and fit the drawers. Immanuel really got excited about the project this week. Until now he just saw a bunch of boards and I'm not too sure he could visualize the entire project assembled, even though we worked from a picture. He did a great job this week and he is starting to figure out what things will cause problems and what will fix the issue. He previously had a lot of trouble jointing an hand planing. This week he seemed to get the hang of the jointer. We used my #4 smoothing plane to fit the drawers and while he was a little scared to mess it up, he really got the hang of it by the end. I think the toughest part was realizing that his strength was not really an asset. We should be building the doors this week and then the shelves and top. For some reason the site is not cooperating and will only post this pic, luckily, it's the one where the drawers are fit and the vertical faces are glued on.

·
Registered
255 Posts

Immanuel and I have been so busy over the past week that I forgot to post some of our progress. We did a glue up of the case, designed and built drawers, fit the vertical parts of the face frame then went back and fit the drawers. Immanuel really got excited about the project this week. Until now he just saw a bunch of boards and I'm not too sure he could visualize the entire project assembled, even though we worked from a picture. He did a great job this week and he is starting to figure out what things will cause problems and what will fix the issue. He previously had a lot of trouble jointing an hand planing. This week he seemed to get the hang of the jointer. We used my #4 smoothing plane to fit the drawers and while he was a little scared to mess it up, he really got the hang of it by the end. I think the toughest part was realizing that his strength was not really an asset. We should be building the doors this week and then the shelves and top. For some reason the site is not cooperating and will only post this pic, luckily, it's the one where the drawers are fit and the vertical faces are glued on.

Very good of you to help this young man with his woodworking project . Looks good .

So how did it come out and is he still woodworking?

Walt

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

It came out great. I never realized that the final part of the blog was never posted. I did however post the project. Here's the link http://lumberjocks.com/projects/17328

Currently Immanuel is a student at NC State University on an athletic scholarship. I saw his mom the other day and she said that he will be coming to see me this summer while he is home so that he can get back in the shop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.