LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awesome Find, Awesome Price #5

Hello fellow LumberJocks! Hope y'all are doing well.

Well, it's time for another installment of Awesome Find, Awesome Price. This time the awesome find is this Irwin Micro-Dial No. 22 Expansive Wood Bit. The case states that it can cut up to 35 standard size holes ranging from 7/8" - 3".

Wood Tool Hardwood Rectangle Office ruler

Font Wood Rectangle Gas Paper

I did take some time to clean up the case a bit before I took the photos.

Wood Gas Nail Tool Composite material

Gas Auto part Font Machine Office ruler

Tool Wood Fashion accessory Metal Creative arts

Many of you (I say many because I'm going to pretend that many people will be reading this blog entry) are probably thinking, "So what? It's just another bit for a brace!". Guess what! You're right.

Nothing special here except the fact that I think this thing has only been used once. You can still see some of the wood shavings caught in the snail. If it's been used more than that I sure can't tell.

Certain parts still have a layer of protective lacquer or something on them.

Wood Household hardware Tool Metal Motor vehicle

Look at the cutting edges.
Wood Finger Tool Auto part Hardwood

Wood Tread Automotive tire Composite material Concrete

Gear Wood Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Art

Household hardware Wood Fastener Screw Gas

They look as though they've hardly been used.

Now for my favorite part, the awesome price.

$1.00 USD. I am not kidding! A buck! When I found it at the flea market I asked the seller how much he wanted for it. He said "One dollar". I couldn't get that one dollar bill out of my pocket fast enough.

Now this may not mean a whole lot to many of you but I'm a hand tool wood worker and for me this is a great little piece of kit. I look forward to putting it to the test. Stay tuned for the video.

Also, if you have one of these, let me know what you think about it. Do you use it? If not, why not? What are the pros and cons?

That's if for this episode of Awesome Find, Awesome Price.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,540 Posts

Well, it's time for another installment of Awesome Find, Awesome Price. This time the awesome find is this Irwin Micro-Dial No. 22 Expansive Wood Bit. The case states that it can cut up to 35 standard size holes ranging from 7/8" - 3".

Many of you (I say many because I'm going to pretend that many people will be reading this blog entry) are probably thinking, "So what? It's just another bit for a brace!". Guess what! You're right.

Nothing special here except the fact that I think this thing has only been used once. You can still see some of the wood shavings caught in the snail. If it's been used more than that I sure can't tell.

$1.00 USD. I am not kidding! A buck! When I found it at the flea market I asked the seller how much he wanted for it. He said "One dollar". I couldn't get that one dollar bill out of my pocket fast enough.

Now this may not mean a whole lot to many of you but I'm a hand tool wood worker and for me this is a great little piece of kit. I look forward to putting it to the test. Stay tuned for the video.

Also, if you have one of these, let me know what you think about it. Do you use it? If not, why not? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks for reading.
Well Doug, ya done good!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for reading.
Thanks splintergroup.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts

Thanks for reading.
I picked up one of those adjustable bits in a goody box that came along with a vintage machine. And I eventually needed to use it to bore a 1-3/4" hole, after discovering that neither my Forstner bit set nor hole-saw assortment included that diameter.

Takeaways:
1. It takes a LOT of torque to drive that puppy, even in softwood. But it was doable with a large ratcheting brace.
2. The screw pilot is the only thing that keeps the bit on center. Sort of. I got a pretty rough cut.
3. I tried the Roy Underhill technique of drilling just until the pilot broke through, and then reversing the workpiece and boring the rest from the backside. But once the screw threads aren't biting, the bit has more freedom to wander.
4. I think it would be better to clamp a scrap piece behind the workpiece, and bore all the way through from the front of the workpiece. Done that way, the screw pilot is fully engaged until the cut is complete.

The pic below shows my resulting hole, after knocking the down worst of the ridges on the ID with a rasp. At this point, the hole was already a bit oversized.

Tool Wood Hardwood Metal Auto part

Bottom line: the bit worked in a pinch for my immediate application, but I still bought a 1-3/4" Forstner bit for future use.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for reading.
Dennis - Thank you so much for all the great feedback. I appreciate it. Before I give it a go, I do plan on buying a brace that has a larger swing. I'm with you on adding a backer board. I can just imagine the blowout I would get without it. Underhill's method may work with a standard Irwin or Jennings bit but I'm not sure about this type. When I am able to, I'll do a follow up and post my results. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

Thanks for reading.
Nice find for twice that price. Lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for reading.
JCamp - LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,943 Posts

Thanks for reading.
A great little find for the price. I have a couple of older ones that I need to go through and clean up, maybe sharpen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for reading.
Eric - I thought so too. I'm not so sure how to sharpen it though. Any tips? Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,943 Posts

Thanks for reading.
Not sure how to sharpen. I have read that you have to watch the cutting edge for the circle though. So I think it's about the same as sharpening a bit for a brace. Best I can tell. Currently have to many projects going on to sharpen anything in the shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for reading.
Eric - Don't I know it! If I didn't have to sleep or eat I might be able to catch up on things.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,943 Posts

Thanks for reading.
Doug, yep. I am working on a paid job now. I recently did a cabinet refacing (doors and drawers) now they want a custom pantry. 5' x 7'6" I build the case on site last week. The past few days I milled up everything for the doors and shallow drawers. All glued up and ready for paint.

I want to get started on a plane till for the shop, keeps getting pushed back.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts