LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
This is kind of random, and doesn't have much to do with woodworking unless you consider the hockey sticks and baseball bats are made of wood and some of our members make them! :)

I was sitting in the doctor's office yesterday waiting for my Mother. I picked up an ESPN magazine and read a little blurb about how long the ball/puck is in play during baseball, basketball, football, and hockey. I remember the football one the most because I found it rather shocking. The others are 'best memory.' I think they are right, but if anyone has ESPN magazine, they could check it for me.

Hockey: 45 minutes
Basketball: 30 minutes
Baseball: 20 minutes
Football: 11 minutes

So, an average football game is 3.5 hours long….......... and out of that 11 minutes is 'action.' Wow.

It's like I read once "I was watching a commercial and a game broke out."

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'd like hockey better, but I can never see the puck, so I can't follow what's going on. Watching it on TV is like listening to an auctioneer who says "HE SCORES!" instead of "SOLD!"

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'd be interested to see how these were calculated:
Hockey - I can't think of a single time that the clock would be running when players aren't actively playing.
Basketball - The only time I can think of is if the clock is running when people are waiting to inbound a ball or something
Baseball - is this only the time a ball it in midair after a hit or throw? Does it count the time a pitcher is holding the ball with a runner on base? If not, shouldn't that count? He is actively trying to prevent the baserunner from advancing.
Football - this is the only one that seems reasonable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.