LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've recently started to get very interested in penturning, and I wanted to get some advice as to good equipment/accessories to purchase. I'm pretty much starting from scratch, so I'd need to get everything. From what I can understand, I'll need the following items:

Lathe (mini is fine, I would think)
Mandrel
Bushings
Drill Bits
Drill press or drill chuck
Saw (band saw or hacksaw?)
Grinder
Some kind of dust management

I'm sure I'm missing something, but if I could get information/advice/recommendations as to good manufacturers, vendors, etc for any/all of those items, I would be much appreciative. I'd like to stay on some kind of (low) budget, but I won't sacrifice quality for price.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
When i started turning pens I bought the Pen Turning Kit with Lathe from Pennstateind.com

It comes with the basic tools you will need to get started, but I would recommend a method to sharpen your tools as well. Although I now use a bandsaw to cut my blanks, a small handsaw worked well for me before I got it.

For drilling the blanks I highly recommend a good bench top drill press. You could use a jacobs chuck on the lathe, but that would require you to also have a chuck to hold the square blank while drilling… so unless you want to start turning bowls as well, price wise you'll come out about the same if you buy a drill press.

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I too was hoping to get into pens one of these days, and possibly wooden rings. I was wondering what I could get by with lathe wise since I would still be on the less frequent usage end of the stratosphere. I'll have to take a look at their kits :)

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
Pen blanks, pen mill to square ends (or a disk sander), pen kits, pen press, clamp or some other means of pressing parts together. Spindle gouge. Polish, sand paper and other finishing supplies..

I would also recommend the following pen turning video or books by these guys….

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Videos___Pen_Making___The_Basics_and_Beyond___kip_rex_basics_vid?Args=

This site also has excellent pen kits.. I would also recommend that you pick one or two styles and master them. That way you do not need a bunch of drill bits and bushings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.