LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Genesis I, Garden of the Gods"

This highly figured Silver Maple platter features a delicate ergonomically contoured rim, that blends seemlessly into a raised summit, which accents the center viewing area of the platter. The platter is approximately 3/16" thick and stands 1" tall. I turn quite a lot of Silver maple, but figure like this is hard to come by… The tree this was made from measured approximately 16 feet in diameter and was removed by a city cutting crew because it was dying and had become a danger to the childrens park where it grew.

·
Registered
106 Posts

This highly figured Silver Maple platter features a delicate ergonomically contoured rim, that blends seemlessly into a raised summit, which accents the center viewing area of the platter. The platter is approximately 3/16" thick and stands 1" tall. I turn quite a lot of Silver maple, but figure like this is hard to come by… The tree this was made from measured approximately 16 feet in diameter and was removed by a city cutting crew because it was dying and had become a danger to the childrens park where it grew.

Beautful im a beggining turner, Somday maybe. Great job and thanks for joining us we all look forward to your insights and seeeing more of your work.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

astounding!!!!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

Really a nice platter! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts

Steve;

Very nice turning work. Must have been some tree.

Lee

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hello,

Thanks for your comments! This tree was a majestic and noble Silver Maple, with a beautiful growth habit and canopy. I was lucky enough to get several blanks from this tree, each one is more spectacular than the other. Sadly, most of this tree was fed into a chipper/shredder by the local city tree cutting crew. It's truly a once in a lifetime blessing, as no other Silver Maple I've turned since comes close to the color and figure this tree offered. Thanks again for your kind words and for taking a look at some of my work. Best wishes to you and yours!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

Your turnings are amazing and I love the back story on this one!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Jorell" Spalted Water Oak Hollow Form

Here is another piece I did in Spalted Water Oak titled "Jorell." I rarely turn Oak of any kind, but this log was too nice to pass up. Termites did a number on this log before I got to it, evidenced by the holes in the front of the form. This piece measures approximately 10" tall and 8" wide at the widest point. It was hollowed with a Stewart System Armbrace using traditional "Blind Hollowing" techniques (no laser guided, or torque arrested systems). The walls on this piece are 1/8" thick and are uniform throughout the piece. The foot has a delicate undercut, with a free-floating cove to visually elevate the piece when viewed on a table or shelf.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts

Here is another piece I did in Spalted Water Oak titled "Jorell." I rarely turn Oak of any kind, but this log was too nice to pass up. Termites did a number on this log before I got to it, evidenced by the holes in the front of the form. This piece measures approximately 10" tall and 8" wide at the widest point. It was hollowed with a Stewart System Armbrace using traditional "Blind Hollowing" techniques (no laser guided, or torque arrested systems). The walls on this piece are 1/8" thick and are uniform throughout the piece. The foot has a delicate undercut, with a free-floating cove to visually elevate the piece when viewed on a table or shelf.

Steve;

Beautiful wood. You did it justice!

Excellent turning.

Lee

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

beautiful indeed.

Some day.. I'm going to have to try turning…

·
Registered
4,569 Posts

Awesome piece!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hello,

Thanks for the very kind words…

Lee - You have a great website, I'll look forward to looking at your site in greater detail. :)

MsDebbieP - Woodturning is tons of fun! Give it a try and you'll be hooked. If I can ever help you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

oscorner - Thanks, the termites and the fungus did all of the work, I just revealed what was already in the wood.

Thanks again and best wishes to all of you!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts

very nice indeed. I'm with you, Oak is normally not fun to turn.. sometimes when nature's ravaged it a bit, or it's spent time in water (or is really old) It isn't so bad, sometimes even pleasurable to turn.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts

Sweet. I am humbled. A very fine piece.

I need to fire up my lathe again.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.