LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
oh you better believe it…ive posted pictures of all the areas on my property that are stacks of wood or a trailer full of wood, and stack of wood under shed roofs for protection…yes sir ee bob, i qualify as a true wood hoarder.

·
Registered
20,029 Posts
I don't have that much cut into lumber. I probably have maybe 2000 board feet cut up. However I have an additional 17,000 board feet of Beetle Kill Pine in logs, plus about 10,000 board feet of various hardwoods that need cut up as well. But then, doesn't everyone?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I spend all the warm months of summer, spring, fall, to collect choice logs from anywhere I can. And of course wood or lumber from any knocked down construction or furniture being thrown out. I end up with all that I can handle. It's a lot of fun looking for logs while taking walks through dense areas. But does that make me a hoarder or just smart doing something one enjoys?

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
ROFALMAO

Yes, I am a hoarder… I look at a piece of wood and SEE something it could be used for… so I keep it!
... and, of course, I never seem to get around to using it for THAT reason I kept it… and so it goes… and goes…

·
Premium Member
8,006 Posts
Hi! My name is Candy. I am a wood hoarder. Any of you that are not, just send those scraps to me. Unlike Joe, I don't always SEE, but I KNOW there is something I can do with the smallest piece of wood. Bob, that is a great picture!

·
Registered
882 Posts
just because I keep every little scrap of wood that comes off my saw, does not mean that I am a hoarder…... or…. maybe um, uh, I know, I am frugal when it comes to wood, thats what I am frugal. not a hoarder, not a hoarder, not a hoarder, not a hoa…..............

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello, hoarders. What bothers me most about my hoarding is when I have thin piece shaved off by a tablesaw cut, maybe 1/16" thick, and I say "ooh, that'll make some good shims" and I toss in the shim section of my scraps bin. I have enough for about 3000 shims! STOP IT!!

I would suggest a bandsaw box for that large piece of walnut? I think it'd look great with the undulating top.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hello, hoarders. What bothers me most about my hoarding is when I have thin piece shaved off by a tablesaw cut, maybe 1/16" thick, and I say "ooh, that ll make some good shims" and I toss in the shim section of my scraps bin. I have enough for about 3000 shims! STOP IT!!

I would suggest a bandsaw box for that large piece of walnut? I think it d look great with the undulating top.

- bhacksaw
Glue them strips together to make a bandsaw box blank. :D

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Hi. My name is Roger and I am a wood hoarder. It all started when I first began to stand up in my crib. I'd pull myself up, and noticed, Hey, I could chew on this rail…..................OH, WAIT, when I grow up, I could make something outta that….... And so it begins. LOL

·
Registered
11,254 Posts
How much wood does a wood hoarder hoard when a wood hoarder does hoard wood? All of it.

I keep scraps that most would laugh at but the other day I needed a knob for a jig, looked through my scraps and there was a perfect 1.5×1.5 inch square of walnut. I have disassembled tables and chairs, things found on garbage day, plus regular kiln dried and self harvested air dried. Probably wouldn't be a problem for most of you but my shop is small. I'm running out of room.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I cannot throw away and pretty piece of wood. I have scrap bins just to hold the cut offs and I do give them to my pen turner buddies…...........I have a barn full of logs that I just thinned out to make way for newer better stuff!!...........Jim

·
Registered
361 Posts
Cricket - Great topic - I respectfully request topics like this not be labeled 'Off Topic'. Unless I have missed something you have to open a posting so labeled to find out what they are about.

My name is Gene and I'm a wood hoarder and according to my wife and kids many other things too. Besides 4 five gallon buckets of small scarps intended for the fireplace, I have a large (3'x3'x2') cardboard box that originally held my first computer, a TRS-80 with larger scraps, boxes of various cut offs filling 2 closets and lots of small pieces on a overflowing wood rack that is only a year old. Like my brother and sister hoarders above, I dig them through constantly for pieces to use for projects and jigs.

Wood, How do I love thee, let me count the ways…

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.