LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I need some advise.
I have some 8/4 Cherry Wood. I'm going to put a 12+" arch in several of them and glue them up. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way and smoothest way to get it done. I don't have a band saw..
Any ideas?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Rough-out with a jigsaw. finish with a router and template (make the template out of something like 1/4" MDF--easy to shape and sand to a smooth curve. Get the template nice and smooth, then your work pieces will end up smooth as well).

·
Registered
962 Posts
Soooo-- time to buy another tool!!! :)

Or-if you have top-bearing and bottom-bearing bits, you can use the cut portion of the piece as the template for the rest, cutting from the other side

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Jerryminer mentioned it but perhaps a picture would help clarify it better.

The first pass with a pattern bit won't get the full 1" depth of cut. The second pass with the pattern removed will go past 1". The third pass from the reverse side using a flushing bit can handle less than an inch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Also vote for the multi-pass route with a shorter one. You can find 2 inch flush trims and even longer spirals, I don't use them because the vibration can be insane, it's easier to chatter, and the stress on that bit from such a mass of wood scares the hell out of me. Never had a bit explode on me, never want to.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
+1 for JAAune … I have also used the same bit with three or four settings to go thru 2-1/2+" material … I will cut just a bit proud and sand the last 64th for a smooth side finish

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.