LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Haven't tried it. Out of curiosity, I Googled "water based finish rag". The second hit was a reference to an article in the Dec. 2010 Fine Woodworking. They tried out a water based "wipe-on" poly from Minwax. They compared it to the oil based version. The issue they reported was that they could not get an even sheen to the coat by wiping the finish on. They tried a brush and had better results. There were several comments at the bottom of the article, and as expected the opinions were all over the place.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I have used an old handkerchief to wipe on thinned Minwax waterborne poly with good results. Wipe one pass and allow to dry; if you go back over it, it will smear. This required many applications, but I had the time and could go by periodically to apply more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.