LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
A secret compartment for a Stetson? A Chamberpot holder? A wash basin? It looks as if it has a key which suggests a desk , but the drop-down surface isn't protected which cancels that. The hole in the marble(?) is much bigger than the one in the wood, which is strange. And the whole slides out! I think it slides out for access, but is used with the flap down, but slid back.
I can't wait to find out what it is, some antique dealer should know.
Gerard

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ok, it is an antique wash stand. Basin in the top, the locked door is for keeping shaving razors, brushes and mugs locked up. The drop down front was for your towel brushes and mug. The odd shaped opening was for a squat vase type vessel that the waste water could be dumped into from the basin above. This vessel usually had a handle on it and could be inserted through the hole and also removed that way to empty its contents. This way you could wash up first, then dump the dirty water into the vessel under the bowl and then fill with clean water to start your shaving. The hole in the bottom shelf was reserved for the water pitcher to keep it stable and steady.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The top is solid and does not lift up, the door also does not lock. It has six sides with a leg on each corner and there is bracing in an H shape beteween legs so nothing can sit below it. You could set a bowl in it but you would have to pull out the drawer and then place the bowl inside, the sliding part of the drawer is too wide open to set anything on it and slide it in.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I know, it was used in magic shows, a pretty girl stuck her, well whatever, in the hole the magician sawed off the whatever part it was and walla, she limps off stage screaming!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.