LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have tinkered with blacksmithing in the past and thinking of get more into it to pair with woodworking. I was thinking I could make my own hold fast and dogs, make metal legs for tables or chairs. Just add things to projects like hand made nails for rustic effects, handles and anything else that comes to my imagination. Even make a knife or adze and axe. I have not ever had a true anvil and was looking at some online, wondering what size to get. I know they say get the heaviest anvil you can but not sure I would need a large one for just minor work as a side hobby. I was looking at a 77lb anvil and thought it may be good enough for my needs. Any advice?

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I think smithing or any metal working skills could be a great compliment to your woodworking skills.

·
Registered
28,285 Posts
I have asked my buddy Chuck Andrews on this as he is a blacksmith and a wood worker. I know you will need a heat source like a forge and for occasional stuff maybe a oxy-acet. torch will work.
I do a lot of metal working and turning and I have a torch that I can use to bend 1" round stock if needed but a forge will heat up a larger area at one time for twisting etc. I don't know about an anvil size. It depends on the parts being made, I guess. It seem that 3" wide one and anchored to solid surface like a workbench or big wooden block or stump would work good. I use the back end of a 6" vise!
..........Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.