LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello all:

I harvested my first deer this year, with me at the ripe age of 40.

I've looked on line at the kits to mount antlers and many people complain of the cheapness of the plaque (veneered particle board) and overall cheapness of the kits. So I thought of doing it myself.

Some specific questions:

1) does anyone have or know of a site with an outline for the plaque/shield onto which the antlers would be mounted

2) What kind of wood would you think? I have a hardwood store nearby with the standard domestics of oak, walnut, and maple; and this store also has exotics such as bloodwood, zebrawood, purpleheart, etc. I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I am curious as to your opinions.

3) Would you use a single board for the whole width of the plaque/shield, or would you edge glue up a board instead?

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Hi there.
I'm no expert but I mount heads for friends and use walnut. Beautiful wood, works well.
Check out my projects I have a few examples there.
I rarely find a board wide enough for a single piece, plus it may tend to warp over time. I usually have to join wood to make it the right size and be stable.

·
Premium Member
25,685 Posts
I did one for my dad when I was a teenager. I just cut a plywood shaped shield, tooled oak leaves on a piece of leather with a picture of a deer and put it all together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.