LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a antique workbench manufactured by the Grand Rapids Screw Company. I am trying to restore it. The face vice is broken and I in the process of fixing it. The bench was my dad's. He used it as a repair bench, not for woodworking. I'm trying to change that. I'm guessing that he got it free or very inexpensive because of the broken vise. I'm shocked that I have all the broken pieces. I'm using them to rebuild the vise. The top is where my dilemma starts. I need advice on how to handle it. It is relatively flat except near the dog holes. I don't think that it is feasible to plane it all the way down to eliminate the damage. Any thoughts?

Then hopefully I can figure out what to do with the top so I can use it for woodworking. I'll post pictures of the repair as I go along if people are interested.
Table Automotive design Desk Gas Engineering
Blue Wood Gas Automotive exterior Asphalt
Creative arts Wood Office equipment Engineering Gas
Wood Hardwood Metal Wood stain Machine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a medallion in the center of the bench that says the company. I post more picture soon. I reluctant to plane the top because the damage and low spots are way too low to plane out. I want to make it back into a working woodworking bench so I might just sand it and see how it works from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts