LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,054 Posts
New Face

This weekend had me working on replacing the face of the console where the tuner is mounted. The old face came out easily… just had to remove about a dozen screws and give it a few taps to loosen it up. It wasn't glued, but the original lacquer finish held it in place some.

Then I had to come up with a way to mount the new radio. I took the new radio out of its case. It came out pretty easily. Just four screws held it together and another pair of screws secured to a pair or retaining clips. I discovered the radio was essentially two parts… the tuner, and the amp. They were held together by four screws that sort of clamped itself together inside the case.

Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Camera lens Circuit component

Now knowing how it assembled together, I came up with a way to mount it to the new face using the four screw mounts.

Rectangle Flooring Floor Tableware Wood

Wood Camera lens Cameras & optics Rectangle Gas

To make the face I began with some scrap ¼" marine plywood I had in the shop and glued a 1/16" thick mahogany veneer to it that was left over from my last project (I need to make myself a veneer press one of these days). This is thinner that the original face, but the marine plywood is better quality and stronger even though its thinner.

Wood Flooring Hardwood Gas Machine

Brown Rectangle Wood Wood stain Flooring

Then I trimmed it to size and cut bevels to match the old face and also made a cutout to mount the new radio.

Wood Rectangle Floor Composite material Gas

The old face was made with a spline to join the front and top together. This was doable because the face was ⅜" thick. I felt my new face was too thin to use a spline so I put my boat building skills to work and epoxied them together utilizing an epoxy fillet.

First I made a clamping mold.
Wheel Wood Flooring Tire Floor

Then I taped the two pieces together with packing tape that acted as both a hinge and a means to temporarily hold the two pieces together.
Wood Flooring Floor Table Automotive design

Wood Rectangle Composite material Automotive exterior Gas

Then I applied thickened epoxy to the seam, folded it in place in the mold, clamped it, then applied the epoxy fillet. Note that I also laid down some packing tape to the mold so that I didn't accidentally epoxy the face to the mold.

Wood Floor Flooring Bumper Gas

After curing for 24 hours it came out pretty decent.

Wheel Tire Road surface Wood Asphalt

Wood Rectangle Asphalt Automotive exterior Composite material

Wood Composite material Gas Flooring Hardwood
Great job Pags! I have a table top version I've been wanting to rehab and didn't know where to start and you've given me some ideas. Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.