LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
A friend of mine who knows I'm into woodworking recently told me that his dad had an old lathe he was looking to get rid of. It belonged to his great-grandfather, and hadn't been used in years, so they let me have it for free!

Wheel Tire Car Wood Motor vehicle

Tire Gas Cylinder Automotive tire Machine

It is completely unmarked except for the motor's nameplate. The motor is an old General Electric, Model 20004, 1/4 HP. Based on my research this motor was most likely made in the 1920's! I cleaned everything up and replaced the electrical wiring, and everything runs perfectly!

The lathe has a 10" swing, and approximately 20" max between centers. It has an integral geared transmission with 3 speeds, selectable by moving a shaft in and out to mesh with different gears. Just really awesome.

I started a forum topic over on OWWM, but so far everyone is stumped. Has anyone here seen a lathe like this before?

I'm excited to buy a few modern accessories and get to turning!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
General Electric has been making all sorts of things, from locomotives to toasters. They probably made that lathe also. Great find. Just proves the saying "they don't make them like that anymore". That will easily last another 80+ years. Take care of that treasure. It looks to me like it was made for school shop use, but definitely industrial use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.